1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for greyscale tone testcards

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by James Kirk, Feb 27, 2021.

1. James Kirk

James Kirk Member

This is for the purpose of understanding actual hues represented in old photos. Is there a website from where one can download greyscale testcards for RGB tones, both for orthochromatic and panchromatic films? Or if not a website, can someone point the way to how one may be able to find these. Also I'm interested in the same for early 19th century 'blue sensitive' monochrome photography. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. James Kirk

James Kirk Member

Thank you. It's a start. I will look in to this.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What are you trying to do?

The tonal range on a negative will depend on the exposure and the development process. That on the print will depend on the paper, the exposure and the development process plus the effect of ageing, storage conditions etc. will show what they look like now.

5. James Kirk

James Kirk Member

Hello PeteRob

I am just trying to determine as best as possible the hues of some vintage monochrome photographs.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Then measurement would seem to be the way forward. I suppose there must be standalone colorimeter applications for the absolute measurement of colour. I suppose a properly calibrated scanner would let you pick up the (RGB) from the photos by looking at a scan in a photo-editing application.