1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Tall Tripod

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Mawkguc, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Mawkguc

Mawkguc Member

Hi, I am looking for a Tall Tripod or Travel Tripod. Idealy I would want one that I dont have to bend to use. I am 180.34M 18034 CM tall.

I had my eye on the Leo Tripod by Three Legged Thing but its too short. My Camera is a Canon EOS 1200D

Any Ideas anyone? thanks

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I suspect that you've got slightly confused with your metric measurements! ;) If not, then you would surely have qualified for inclusion in the Guinness book of Records (if it were still around). :D After all, 180.34m is more than 590ft... which is tall by most human standards! :eek:

On the presumption that you are actually about 1.80m tall (approximately 5ft 11in) I would have thought that Manfrotto would offer a suitable tripod, at a (reasonably) sensible price. Have you looked at their range?

ChrisNewman likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Leaving aside the factor 100 in measurement, I’d recommend looking at the tripods you can find on display, though not many shops cover a range. It’s not just the specified height but how easy you find it to put up and adjust, especially if you want something mobile. The stability of a tripod is in the legs so it is best to minimise the number of leg sections so as to keep the tubes as thick as possible and not rely on a long column to get height. This is not what travel tripods are famous for!

Some tripods have a centre column that can be rotated making it easier to position a camera for macro work.

If I use (not often) a tripod for, say landscape, I use it set fairly low and put a right angle finder on the camera. I find looking down much easier than trying to peer horizontally through a viewfinder. With mirrorless and adjustable angle rear screens I can see dark-cloths making a comeback! If I’m using a tripod for birding I have a gimbal head (suitable for long lenses only) on it and find the extra height lets me look straight.

I’m 5’11”” and I have an old Manfrotto 055 Pro in Aluminium and a slightly less old Velbon Sherpa in Carbon Fibre. I use a Manfrotto medium sized ball head or gimbal on these. I haven’t got round to it but I mean to add a geared head at some point for precise alignment control.

4. Mawkguc

Mawkguc Member

Yes should be 1.80 M LOL

peterba likes this.
  5. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I’m 6’2", or at least, I was when I was younger. I have two tripods in use, but Mawkguc won’t be able to buy either new, as they’re both discontinued.

My Redged TSC-425 Travel Tripod Carbon claims an extended height of 159 cm, which I find rather less than ideal, but it’s fairly compact and lightweight. It’s design seems pretty standard, so I guess there are similar ones available.

My Gitzo Explorer GT2531EX claims a maximum height of 170 cm, which I find plenty. It’s fairly heavy, and doesn’t pack very small, but it’s superb for macro. Its legs can be set at any angle, and its centre column through a huge range, in small toothed steps to avoid slippage. I find it tragic that they discontinued it, but took advantage of the end-of-line opportunity when I noticed it on sale at only 60% of the recommended retail price. So far as I’m aware, the closest alternative now available is the Vanguard Alta Pro range, reviewed by AP 5 August 2017. They have a multi-angle centre column (I couldn’t see much point in Manfrotto’s approach of allowing the centre column to tilt 90°, but no other angles), and offer 4 leg angles rather than the conventional 3. (When I used my Redged with the centre column inverted for low-level shots, I found the narrowest leg angle restricted the space between the legs, while the next needed a huge span across the legs to get much working height.)

For PeteRob’s information, I bought the Manfrotto XPRO Geared Head for my Gitzo Explorer, as the only lightweight option then available cheaper than the almost £1000 Arca-Swiss D4, despite it not having an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp. But the plastic construction made it very bouncy, so it was difficult to judge where it would settle when I let go after making adjustments. Fortunately, before I spent a similar sum on a clamp conversion kit, Benro launched their GD3WH, which I find excellent and would hate to be without.

Chris

peterba likes this.
  6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

My tall tripod is a manfrotto 058 - but it's certainly NOT a travel tripod. IIRC it reaches over 2m without using the central column & is steady enough to use with a 4000mm lens. I've never carried it more than a quarter mile & I'm pretty sure I never will.
    You need to think carefully about what you mean by travel tripod first. Obviouly it needs to be much lighter than my 058 - but does it need to fold up small? More sections makes for more vibration.

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Errrrmmm........ did you mean a 400mm lens?!! :D

8. PeteRob

I rather think so.

peterba likes this.
  9. Petrochemist

No, I've used it with a telescope that works out as a 1000mm to 4000mm zoom. Extreme & badly in need of solid support. Diffraction is a bit issue at the 4000mm end as it's only f/64.
    400mm is readily hand-holdable in reasonable light, so isn't very demanding on a tripod :)
    Here's a very old example through it of offshore powerboat racing I'm not quite sure how far in I was zoomed probably somewhere around 2000mm.
    [​IMG]just missed! by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Another scope with interchangeable eyepieces allows higher theoretical magnifications in tests (with a rapidly rolling subject) it managed this SOOC & here's the comparison shot at 200mm

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    peterba likes this.
  10. PeteRob

I'd agree that a 400 mm camera lens is hand-holdable in good light (at least my Canon F5.6 is) with a 1Div attached but it still needs a decent tripod under it if needs call for a tripod.

I looked up the 058 which is sold as a studio tripod. I'm surprised you can get away with a photographic tripod for telescope use.

11. Petrochemist

That wasn't a problem at all with the Tasco scope (seen here on the 058 as it came).
    [​IMG]Playing with the scope by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
    Bu the time I did the tests with the newtonian scope I think I'd switched from the 3-way head to a fluid head & added a custom made quick connect bar to the scope.
    FWIW I don't think I've ever used the tripod with the third section of the legs extended or with the central column raised. In the shot above the 2nd stage legs would have been only partly extended or perhaps not extended at all!