1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Looking down

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by KierFX, Jan 9, 2017.

1. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

Not the most aesthetic shot, but out of the four negatives I have scanned from my very first roll of film on my Bronica ETRSi, I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]
    I like the super shallow DoF, and the bobble on the hat in the centre of the scene. They aren't the greatest scans - scanned using my home printer/scanner combo and using my iPhone as a backlight. You can kind of see some resolution lines along side the coat in the centre of the frame, so please excuse these.

Thank you for the camera, Jeff, I love it.

Kier

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be harsh, but it took me while to find the subject. I'd llay about with post processing to remedy this to some degree.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A crop of some of the oof area at the top concentrates the attention without loss of the context.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The extreme shallow DOF minimises the steepness somehow and there is a twig right across it (or scratch). But really I think the scanning or PP is poor. The shadows are very blocked, way beyond any aesthetic high contrast. Also a philosophical difficulty with two figures that are not relating in any way, spatially or any other and the bright rock in the centre is very distracting. What's that on the right, a dog?

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Kier, problem is that the strongest highlights are not near your main subject and are set against the large area of deepest black. Raid the box of Quality Street that you bought your Mum for Christmas, and take the brown cellophane and use it as a free viewing filter. It will help eliminate colour and reduce a prospective subject to near monochrome tones. Either that or pay for a Viewing Filter (as they were called) from SRB, new, or s/h online. Cheers, Oly