1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Look before you leap?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, May 8, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Recently we have had a member wanting to use his camera in a way the manufacturer didn’t make it to be used. In this week’s AP there is a letter from someone who upgraded a camera only to find that it wouldn’t do something the buyer required. Now, I can understand that some things are difficult to research and products turn out to be unsuitable but I do wonder whether some people are looking at expensive items and assuming that they have all the bells and whistles.

Many years ago I bought an amplifier that turned out to have insufficient gain so other equipment didn’t work properly. I also managed to buy a car that was a dead loss, I should have rejected it, I thought I had researched that purchase properly. It turns out that the manufacturer had implemented technology that wasn’t well publicised.

All I can say is that, if in doubt, you should find someone who owns what you intended to buy and ask every conceivable question. I wonder what the two people in my first paragraph will do?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Learn from the experience I’d suppose. I’d expect that everybody goes through the experience of buying the wrong thing at some point or something, or, if not completely wrong, not fit for purpose. It’s a pain at the time but time moves on.

I don’t know if social attitudes have changed to make the learning “hurt” more. We seem to live in a world that encourages a great degree of instant gratification on credit whereas I grew up with little money and the ethic that, if you wanted something, you saved up. Buying the wrong thing with money you don’t have is a bigger mistake than saving for a year with the possibility of deciding you didn’t really want/need it.

zx9r, Footloose and Gezza like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Personal credit is a great thing if you control it and a bad thing if you allow it to rule you.

My father came back from WW2 weighing 6 stone (not a lot for a bloke who was 5ft 10 in tall) courtesy of the German guards whose kind hospitality he'd enjoyed since Anzio. Despite his ruined health, he was determined his family would do well. Both my parents worked hard to ensure we did.

They used consumer credit all the time but never let it rule them. Instead, my mother ruled the bank books with a rod of iron. As a consequence, I grew up in a family that was one of the few in our area to have a private car (which my father used as part of his "weekend" business). We also had many of the new consumer electrical and electronic goods.

When my parents died (tragically young) their estates were well in credit, thanks to the insurance policies they'd taken out for just such an eventuality. They weren't rich but they used the system with their eyes open and it worked well for us.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My parents bought one item 'on tick' - a sofa. I wasn't allowed to sit on it until it was paid for.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think some things should be on a sale or return basis. Partners, for example? ;)

John Farrell and Geren like this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Do think after 31 years I could return mine? It hasn't lived up to all expectations and certainly doesn't do as expected.:)

Geren and Catriona like this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

You might be able to, but the 'wear and tear' costs might be too excessive. :rolleyes: If later, you find a newer model, will that in turn, eventually become just as troublesome in other ways?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Our parents met in the 1930s and before we were born in 1938 & 1941, and my first marriage was as "arranged" as any from the aristocracy of old, and I knew nothing was wrong until after our honeymoon.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I do remember renting a TV for a couple of years until we handed it back and did without since we were both studying. For about the first 5 years of marriage we survived on wedding presents and second hand essentials.
    It's not something I'd wish on anyone, it was just an accepted situation at the time. Fortunately things are different for most partnerships today. At least women can now get mortgages, loans, overdrafts, sign contracts, own things in their own right and are not a possession of a man needing permission!

Geren likes this.
  10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I should also add, that I have never encountered anyone daft/gullible enough to 'collar' me in this manner, so any advice from me on the subject, wouldn't be of much value!

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Oh it would! How did you avoid it. Ha! :)

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

After 50 years I still haven't found anything that allows me to ask for a refund, I'm pleased to say! :D

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The best purchase I ever made was a steel tape measure for my wife to use when online shopping. She will look at the pictures but has no concept of dimensions (probably my fault as what she thinks is 6" definitely isn't). At the start of the pandemic she bought two window boxes with the intention of growing some salad veg in them. Never did grow anything, but if anyone wants a coffin for an Action Man I have 2 going spare.

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It wasn't all that long ago in the grand scheme of things when I had a phone call from the bank, asking to speak to Mr Kath. I asked if they could just tell me and they said no, as the account holder, they had to speak to him. I pointed out that not only was it a joint account, but also, it had originally been MY account, opened when I was 16, that I added him to when we got married!

peterba, Catriona and GeoffR like this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Not from a bank but an obvious spam call :
    "Hello, can I speak to the man of the house. Mr McMann please?"
    "No you can't"
    "Oh is he out? When will he be back please?"
    "He won't be he died a couple of weeks back"
    Nanoseconds pause then "In that case can I speak to the new man of the house please?"
    My reply hopefully burst her eardrums, it was certainly loud enough

I still get them from time to time on the landline asking to speak to "your husband"

16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

My wife has needed quite a lot of dental work, over the years. Her mother, though, just laughed when I enquired about claiming on the warranty...

17. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was in the middle of an argument with one of my children when my husband muttered something about it being a pity we couldn't send them back. No woman would ever have made that suggestion ;-)

WillieJ and Catriona like this.
  18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Even my eyes watered at that.

19. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

My wife bought what she thought was a hall runner, expecting a carpet around 8' x 1 1/2'. What she got was about the size of a doormat. She ended up buying four more and sewing them all together.

SqueamishOssifrage and Catriona like this.
  20. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Debt is a terrible thing in my view - it locks you down.
    We sold everything when brexit referendum was given the go ahead. We had already paid off the mortgage a few years previously. But loans for cars, windows etc etc had created a problem we had to face. So both cars went, replaced by bangers, sold enough stuff to clear all the debt.
    Now if I buy I use PayPal 4mth 0% finance (but usually pay it off in the 2nd month).
    Yes, we are debt free, which feels great. BUT life has come to a complete standstill. We don’t want to use savings and splurge, nor do we want to sign the dotted line again, so we now live a relatively monotonous existence of going to work, coming home, going to work, coming home. Friends are hitting the midlife crisis and buying convertibles and Range Rovers, we in comparison are seen as dull as ditchwater.
    The saving grace is, we both know deep down that if hassles at work came to a head, we could tell them to shove it and know we didn’t have to take the next available job to cover the silly toys parked outside or the roof over our heads.
    I suppose there’s much to be said for that- still a boring life tho’
    and you only get the One!!

Last edited: May 12, 2021