1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lonely camera seeks compatible flashgun

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by lizzyboo, Jan 2, 2002.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo Member

Hi!!

I've got a Dynax 505si and I need a flashgun for under £70. I often take piccies of kite-buggiers, kite-surfers as these are the sports I am in to, and my juggling club. The club often visits shows where flash is allowed and the audience sit pretty close due to the absence of a stage . I also need to take product pics for my shop - but it doesn't need to be super perfect as it's only a small business :- )

I've trawled through magazines and the web trying to find reviews and stuff, but I think I need to ask the people who use Minolta cameras!

I'm considering the Sunpak MZ440 and PZ4000, and the Jessops 320AF. Is there anything else I should be aware of (Cobra? Sigma?) And what do you lot use? Also, are there any features (or lack of) that I should REALLY avoid? Oh, and any 2nd hand stuff I should look out for?

Thanks for any help.

Liz.

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Liz,

Firstly, welcome to the AP forum or as the regulars here call it 'the madhouse'. Second, to answer your question, I personnally don't have much knowledge of the 505, however, Dynax fit flashguns are compatible with the complete range of Dynax cameras. I personally now use a Minolta flashgun (5600 HSD), but, previously used a Cobra 700AF.
    As to the flashguns you've listed I don't know of their capabilities but as long as they are dedicated Minolta AF fit they will work with your 505.
    What you should be looking for in a flashgun is as high a guide no. as you can get (this is the power output) the higher the no. the greater the flash coverage and also a 'bounce' head.
    To be honest, I would suggest that you look at secondhand Minolta flashes, as the Minolta flashes do work best with the camera and will provide you the best results (check your 505Si instruction manual for any flashguns not suitable). A few sites to checkout for second hand gear are:-
    www.ffordes.com
    www.jessops.com
    www.mxvphotographic.com

If I haven't been of great assistance, For more detailed info about Minolta flashguns and their compatibility with your 505 you could e-mail your query to photohelp@Minolta.co.uk

hope you find a suitable flashgun
    regards
    RonM

3. lizzyboo

lizzyboo Member

Hi!

Thanks for the info!

I was just wondering how you found your Cobra (performance wise)? I'm mainly concerned about underexposure, esp. on bounce, as I read a review of several guns and I was amazed at how the performance varied from gun to gun, even at the higher end. I'll look into the Minolta guns, but there's no way I can afford RRP!

Cheers,

Liz.

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Liz,

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the Cobra, either in capabillity or the results I got with it. in fact I became very suspect of the flashgun, which is why when I bought my Dynax 7, a couple of months saving and some overdue business expense payments went towards the 5600.
    As regards paying RRP, I try not to, many companies such as Jessops will price match against their competitors, check out the 'new' prices in the likes of Amateur Photographer and if there is something within your budget then give it a go, I saved £65 on the 5600 this way. Also in AP you'll find adverts from various dealers dealing in secondhand gear, where you should be able to pick up something suitable.

Good luck in the search.
    RonM

5. openkast

openkast Active Member

I have a Cobra 700AF and a Minolta 3500xi. The
    3500xi is a lot better -- simple to use, it has
    a low power setting, zooms with the camera, and
    best of all works off camera if your Dynax supports
    the facility. I think the results from the 3500xi
    looked better in general.

At the moment the 3600 and 5600 look expensive
    and there seem to be quite a few S/H 3500xi units
    about (priced about £80 which is presumably
    negotiable). I'd reckon a S/H 3500xi is better than
    a new Cobra for the same money.

6. lizzyboo

lizzyboo Member

Re: Thanks!

Cheers openkast and RonM!
    Your posts are in keeping with the reviews I've read, so I feel more confident now about choosing! I'll definitely keep my eye out for a s/h minolta unit.

C U!