1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Wall 1963

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Back in 1963, and living in North Finchley I made a visit to London, & the Thames etc. on a super day in the spring. One of the places I photographed was London Wall with its then new tall office blocks. Are they still there? Or have they been replaced?

0035s London Wall & ruined church 1963.jpg

0036as London Wall 1963.jpg

2. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Mostly, yes. Recently the walkways which connect them at an elevated level have been modernised, although this has resulted in the loss of the pubs and banks previously situated up there. The walkways are now almost all that's left of a (fortunately) abandoned idea of building motorways and dual carriageways all over central London and having pedestrians moved upstairs.

Your first 1963 shot is particularly fascinating: the bombsites had not yet been replaced by the Barbican complex, in the middle of which sits the now restored church in your picture, St Giles Cripplegate.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Many thanks for such an informative reply - my reason for posting & asking the question was that a few years ago we were in what I thought was the right area, but something was wrong, and I didn't recognise it as I expected to do. I didn't have easy access to London until after 1962, and WWII damage lasted for a very long time and is on several of my shots.