1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Leica dealer getting BAD publicity..

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SteveEM, Nov 17, 2006.

1. SteveEM

SteveEM Well-Known Member

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I think Bernard is factually correct, but its certainly short-sighted of CC to behave in this manner (particularly as the customer was initially told the deposit would be refunded).

As far as the suit vs jeans thing is concerned, I've never worn the former on a visit to the shop, only the latter; and haven't been treated like something they'd scrape of their shoe. Whether the shop has a corporate attitude problem, or whether any single staff member has (and whether others do not), is a matter of perception by individuals. Certainly, any long standing store employee (and I'm not talking solely about CC here) will eventually be able to gauge if a customer is serious, or a time-waster, and vary their response accordingly. Contrary to some opinions, CC is not alone in staff disliking certain 'customers' who waste their time and, occasionally, that of other customers. Indeed, I had an encounter with one such person in a well-known London dealer who I often promote here. The owner of that shop was well aware of this person, and had been considering banning him from the premises because of his habits.

3. jimstephenson

jimstephenson Well-Known Member

I have been going in there, occasionally, for many years and have always found them very helpful and friendly. A lot of full list, but they will always do a deal if you are serious. Boutique look?? I see clean, well presented and organised.
    Lewis and Caplan also great; and all have thier own character.

4. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

I have clear views about many camera shops, and I am pretty knowledgeable on UK Consumer Law. But I have no comments specifically on this case or the shop ....

But one of the critical issues in Customer Relations Management is this: satisfied customers tell (relatively) few friends and colleagues about the wonderful shop, etc; dissatisfied customers tell the world.

Sadly, some shops or businesses do not value their customers views/viewpoints, or their own reputation sufficiently highly nowadays: some do not value their customers at all. I am pleased to work for a niche scientific publisher/bookseller where our customers' interests are always paramount - we value our customers and vice versa, they always come back and spend more. We are in business for the long haul: customers are our livelihood. Only a few camera shops with this attitude remain, so it's always interesting to see how they respond to challenging issues like this ....

Alan

5. dil

dil Active Member

Why pay a deposit that you want back when discussing a Leica? The principle of a deposit is that it commits the buyer and seller; hence if the buyer wishes to back out the seller could understandably be disappointed. This is the ethos behind calls and puts in the stock market and obviously worth a lot more than an M8.

The M8 is obviously causing a huge amount of interest and naturally time wasters so I can understand why CC have behaved as they would seem to.

There a <u>are</u> re other Leica premier dealers out there so competitive market forces will prevail if this behaviour goes beyond this one example. As Leica has such a strong brand you want this to begin as you enter the shop so against CC they may have a problem???

For me the key thing is why someone would want to cancel (unless of course it was just show in the first place).

Apologies for the rant.

6. TimF

FWIW, my opinion on this (and I have to say so as a non-owner of the M8) is that the rumpus over the IR thing has caused some people to freak out (shrieks of "I've been betrayed" and other such stuff can be found, if you should care to traipse through the posts, at the Leica forum and doubtless elsewhere) instead of waiting for Leica to solve the problems - an announcement on this is expected on Monday, which IIRC the cancelling customer was told during the exchange with CC.

The thing about the M8 is that Leica's engineers had, as all DSLR designers do, to juggle with one factor against another. The IR sensitivity could have been eliminated very easily by using a thicker filter in the camera; however, this would have resulted in a reduction in image quality, particularly in the corners (it might not be quite the same balance if designing an SLR, the angle of incidence with which light exits rangefinder lenses, particularly wide-angles, is much greater than with a reflex). Leica chose, and rightly in my opinion, to optimise the sensor characteristics to get maximum performance from the lenses, which is after all the raison d'etre of the Leica system. Those, and I suspect they are a tiny minority, who hold fundamental objections to putting an IR cut filter on their Leica glass, may end up having to look elsewhere. We shall see what transpires in a couple of days, but I sincerely hope Leica won't have bowed to the screeching voices.

An example of what the camera can achieve, even with ultra-wides, can be seen in this thread showing pictures taken with the Voigtlander 15mm. Those who have watched the Epson R-D1 will be aware of how much this camera/lens combination vignettes, even with a smaller sensor. The poster states that no correction for vignetting was required at all with the 15mm/M8 combo.

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

TBH that just seems to be par for the course in the digital world. I'm thinking principally in terms of the rabid frothings that accompany practically every DSLR launch over at DPReview, in particular. You know the sort of thing - back focus, front focus, ISO doesn't go low enough, dynamic range isn't adequate, this is wrong, that is wrong, etc. etc. The problems may, or may not actually exist, but it only takes a small handful of disatisfied people on an internet forum to get the ball rolling, and before you know it people are clamouring for product recalls and forecasting the imminent collapse and bankruptcy of the manufacturer. The real tragedy would be if such prophecies were ever to become self-fulfilling. Unfortunately, if ever there were a case where that could just happen, this is probably it. :-(

8. TimF

Or worse in this case, threatening class actions. :mad:

9. David_S

David_S Active Member

I have always found this shop extremely helpful and the staff pleasant and attentive whether visiting or ordering by telephone/internet.

The owner was particularly helpful in sorting out an after sales problem with Leica UK and Solms for me. I will buy from them again without hesitation. The owner is very choosy however where he places his advertising budget, I fully concur with his choices.

I was amused to read some of the garbage on the photo.net site, paticularly the guy knocking the pavement cafe outside as it was painfully obvious he had never ever visited the area!