1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Logitech Webcams: C920 vs C920s .. much difference?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Rupert49, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Everyone and his dog wants a webcam at the moment of course, but I'm in no particular hurry as I don't know anybody, apart from my daughter, who does Skype.

Once the stocks are back up in the online stores I plan to buy a decent quality webcam and have plumped for the Logitech C920s. This is very definitely out of stock everywhere at the moment, but the previous version - C920 - appears to be fairly freely available.

I've tried to run a comparison of the two units but so far I have only seen mention of the privacy cover on the C920s as the main difference. Surely all you need to do is disconnect the webcam by removing the USB plug when you're not using it. Apart from that, HD image quality, streaming rate, stereo microphones, automatic focusing and light control seem to be common to both variants.

Has anyone here had any experience of either or both webcams, or would care to clarify what they perceive as the principal differences between the C920 and the C920s?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea. For basic skype use anything will do I’d have thought.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm far from sure that a webcam needs to be "clever", surely all it needs is a decent depth of field and reasonable focus between 1 and 2 metres. Then again recent MacBooks come with a camera and mics so I've never contemplated anything else. Unless you are planning something spectacular I would agree that almost anything will do.

4. Rupert49

Thanks for comments, people. Having given this a bit more thought, it clearly doesn't matter how good one's own webcam is (lens glass, dof, auto aperture, crystal clear microphone, etc.) since it's the person on the other end who'll benefit, not me.

Time for a rethink!

5. PeteRob

I think our web cam is 20 years old (or more)

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My wife wanted to use Skype, so I got a basic Logitec 720 line camera/Microphone, which works perfectly on a Windows 10 PC.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ams/logitech-hd-webcam-c270-07113389-pdt.html

It's more than adequate for Skype, but some Blue-Tack is needed inside its (very loose) clamp that attached it to the upper edge of PC monitor screen.

The biggest headache was making Skype work: like some other MS software, there is no user guide and initially software is about as user friendly as the proverbial cornered rat. In my case, it would not work until I found the setting for time zone and corrected it to that for the UK. My wife has now had two Skype conversation without needing to call me to fix something, which rates as a major success.

Re. privacy - the camera/microphone has a USB lead, which we ONLY connect just before a Skype session is planned, and then unplug when the session has finished.

7. Rupert49

A little worrying that you encountered initial problems setting things up. Apparently I already have a Skype account with my recently installed Windows 10 OS and I would hope that any webcam I end up buying has some instructions with it!

I use a PC (no laptop or any other 'devices' in this house!), but the pictures of webcams and their clamps don't make it clear how they actually affix to the top edge of a stand-alone monitor. I guess I'll find out eventually!

8. PeteRob

Just hook it over the top, it's a balance thing rather than a big clip. They'll stay put if you don't jiggle about. Else there is blue-tac or sellotape.

9. Chester AP

Like you, I only have a desktop PC, having never been seduced by portable devices and their cost.

On my PC monitor (a 14 year old 20" LCD), a small piece of BlueTack inside the clamp suffices, and cannot be seen - it only has to stop the camera/microphone moving during the conversation.

Don't forget that you will need some way to hear what the other party is saying. Having experimented with small cheap 'powered' speakers specifically made for use with a PC, I now use a small external amplifier connected to the PC's headphone socket, connected to a 30 year old pair of small 'hi-fi' speakers originally purchased as rear channel speakers in my first TV surround-sound setup. The speakers sit on blocks of dense foam on either side of the monitor, which raise them about 3" above the desk. This arrangement is also ideal for listening to stuff on the BBC Sounds website. Experimenting with the PC's sound card tone adjustments is worth doing, so that you can make speech as clear as possible.

10. Rupert49

Thanks Chester, all helpful stuff there. I have used the same pair of Logitech 'powered' speakers with my PC for about 10 years and they have a really nice all-round sound (not audiophile level!) for both speech (eg. YouTube instructional videos) and music. My monitor is a 10 year-old 23" Samsung that continues to serve me well. When I get a webcam I'll probably have to pull the monitor towards me, because it currently sits fairly snugly under the book shelf above it and I won't know until then how big these webcams actually are!

11. Chester AP

My camera/microphone has a front face of about 7 x 3 cm and only projects about 1 cm above the top of the monitor.
    These things are probably so small because they use minute sensors like those in the cameras of cheap mobile telephones.
    If you need to move the monitor it will be because the image from the sensor is too 'wide' or because you are too far from the microphone in the device. By experiment I have found that having my face 50-60 cm from the device is best, but this may vary with the lens/sensor/microphone in the device you buy.