1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lockdown is finally getting to me!

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Jun 14, 2020.

1. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Very Nice Adrian

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, a first placed b+w image of some quality, I have to say. Where the 'smoke' is coming from, I'm unsure. Or was there a wet cat on your lap beginning to dry out?

3. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Love them. What settings / profiles are you using for your mono?

5. AdrianSadlier

Hi Mike, I just realised that the Exif data is empty. I must sort that out.

Both shots taken in manual mode, D810 on tripod, ISO 64, f/6.3, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, VR (turned off), autofocus (central focus point), centre weighted average metering. Default Preset. Both shots lit by 2 flashes, shot through white umbrellas. Basically no ambient light (just enough so as not to trip over gear - I was using the living room as a studio and Monica does not like me moving the furniture as I never put it back in the "right" place). Main flash subject right at height and slightly to front/side. Second flash low, subject left, slightly to rear/beside. Flashes on manual. Can't remember the setting. Moved them (or me) closer or further away for fine tuning. Used a wireless trigger and three receivers (camera and both flashes - Yongua). The triggers seemed to have some latency as even though I had camera on high speed sync (1/250") the rear curtain was visible in a lot of shots. Time to invest in some better triggers - maybe TTL capable.

1st shot 1/160, at 50mm.

2nd shot 1/100 at 62mm.
    2/3 exposure compensation

Both shots in RAW. Basic light adjustments made in LR (mainly with graduated filter, mostly on camera right hand side to reveal more in the shadows.). Brush used to remove any hotspots on the skin by reducing highlights. Then into Silver Efex Pro to convert to B&W. Can't remember which "filter" I used - it varies with every shot but tends to be the "neutral" one. Increase in structure to give a more gritty effect.

Then back into photoshop for final tidy up. I suffer badly from Eczema, my face looks quite red during a flare up. That's why my self portraits started out in B&W. Now it's my default approach. I have a lot of tiny flecks of skin on my face which are easily detected at this resolution. I have a good "scrub" before a shoot but can't moisturise as it gives a sheen which the camera picks up. So I use photoshop to tidy it up.

Then I post them here for feedback and I have never been let down. There are nearly always suggestions for improvement.

Which I really appreciate.

Adrian

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ah right, that was the bit I was wondering about. Ta

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I do like these portraits Adrian. very good.

That made me smile. Is that the happy face?:)

8. AdrianSadlier

No. That is the contented face. This is the happy face - taken Saturday night, a different feel than the previous stuff for "Lockdown Introspection". I am not gloomy all the time (it just feels that way)

[​IMG]

Lockdown Introspection - The Joy of a good book by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

This was a lot harder to do as I wanted to use an 85mm for a more "natural" perspective. But my 85mm is a manual focus lens. With nobody but myself to "shoot" & "sit" it took a lot of trial and error.

9. AdrianSadlier

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

For me, personally, over-cooked the whites of the eyes. Like the hat.

11. AdrianSadlier

Hi Tony

At this size the eyes do look overcooked. But at full resolution they don't (you can see the veins etc.).

The hat is mine - I haven't even worn it yet!

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

As I was scrolling down these and came to the last one my first thought was "Oh my, overdone the photoshop a bit there" - until it dawned on me it wasn't you!!!

AdrianSadlier and dream_police like this.
  13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I had a good snigger at that, Kath!

Geren and AdrianSadlier like this.