1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loch Blues.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Took a conscious decision to concentrate more on coastal shots. Wide open vistas of mountains and big skies were getting a little repetitive and boring.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments on this shot taken yesterday during a brief break in the weather.
    Although it went very blue after sundown the LE exaggerated the blue cast even more. This was corrected in processing but to be honest I liked the blue tones, kind of sets the mood so returned back to the blue but pulled back a little.
    Thanks for looking and all crit welcome.

[​IMG]

Bigger file can be seen here...........
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/12571725654/in/photostream/

2. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Hi Helander
    I enjoy all your work and personally can never get bored of mountains & big skies!
    I like this and agree the blue suits the mood. Just one niggle, there is something distracting bottom right (as I'm looking at it) it looks like a patch of yellow light / reflection or maybe its a rock under the water?....whatever it is because of its different colour I keep getting drawn to it / distracted by it!

3. chrispope70

chrispope70 Well-Known Member

Great shot as always Scott, I love the blue tones, looks very moody.
    i hope you are not carrying those rocks around in your boot :D

4. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

i like it,..the skies do seem to have this blue tone to it at the mo.
    a small crop just above the submerged rock maybe.

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Nice as usual Scott. Blue tones give it a nice cool feel. Agree with Lucie about the submerged thingymajiggy though, it does tend to drag your eye down. Careful bit of cloning maybe?

6. Helander

Thanks folks. To be honest I liked the submerged rock in the water as an extra element but can see how it could distract others. I could easily do this shot again removing the rock before the tide gets it.
    I took about 40 shots along 20 feet of coastline as it changes quickly when the tide is coming in. Rocks that appear boring or not suitable as foreground interest soon become interesting as the rising water surrounds them.

Sorry but the crop above the submerged rock doesn't work for me. This cuts the foreground interest in half and puts the horizon slap bang in the middle.

7. henniehendrik

henniehendrik Well-Known Member

Its all good stuff ,i would have 'stoofed' it up.
    i now see what u see.ta.

8. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Love that blue tone and square format definitely suits the temperature and light we're getting right now, looks even better bigger :)

9. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Agree with all the comments. Great colours and lovely composition as usual. Shame the water was so clear, would have hidden the sunken rocks!

10. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

I like it but would do an S curve adjustment in PS, and there's possibly a dust/water spot above the left side mountain. Looking forward to seeing more of your coastal shots

11. Helander

Thanks folks for the constructive critique, always a useful exercise.
    The water was surprisingly calm, more white water/breaking waves would have hidden the rocks underneath so I might re shoot this when the sea is a little rougher.
    Thanks.

Actually looking at the larger file I can see what could be mistaken for three dust or water spots on the left hand side above the mountain.
    I have a D600 which has been plagued with the well documented oil on sensor issues so I've become accustomed to removing dust spots and wet cleaning the sensor. On this occasion I don't think they are spots as they move on later and earlier shots but will remove them anyway to be on the safe side.
    Not sure on increasing the s curve, there's a slight curve on the levels already, any more and the picture becomes hard on the eyes.
    Thanks for the suggestion and pointing out possible spots.