1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in a bubble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, May 5, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I did, sorry, yes
    I’ll never see this in my lifetime, probably nor will my son in his. But the sheer greed of humans today is grotesque. The “want” never stops!

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not found a 1dX yet then? :D

Bazarchie likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

No, not yet
    Still, up-cycling is eco friendly - my conscience is clear.
    Besides, when the new R3 is released the market will be awash with 1dx’s. They’ll be going for peanuts.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think their ignorance of politics DOES matter though.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As Skin (of Skunk Anansie) sang so eloquently - "yes it's f@#£ing political, EVERYTHING'S POLITICAL"

Geren likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We have local elections tomorrow, the only materials I have received are marked Conservatives, two copies posted in Barnstable and one pushed through the door. I have no idea if anyone else is standing so how I am supposed to make an informed decision on where to place my vote I can't say.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Hopefully they vote in such diverse ways that they normally cancel each other out.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Or not at all.

Learning likes this.
  9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Are we (collectively speaking) actually saying that only those with an interest in politics should be allowed to vote..??

10. Learning

No! No! No! Everyone of even the maturity of a typical 18 year old should have the right to vote.
    Voting at a younger age is a debatable topic.I suspect that some ten year olds are sufficiently mature and informed to cast a considered vote. Many 30 year olds are not so endowed. I think that a minimum age of 18 to 21 is about right.

11. Learning

But they have the right to vote.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't actually disagree with you all that much. I have deep suspicions of most people's motivations for running for PM/FM/POTUS etc and doubt it ever really has much to do wtih making things better for the common people. But all the more reason to keep at least a vague weather eye on them and their lies. Otherwise you might fall for a slogan on a bus. Oh. Wait.

Zou and peterba like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes. They have a right to vote. But with rights come responsibilities and that's where our increasingly atomised society falls down so badly. My student has a right to place their vote and perhaps I should have reminded them of the election tomorrow to enable them to exercise that right. But surely if you're going to insist on having a say on something you should have an opinion on it and have thought about it at least a bit? Even if you only think in terms of 'What does this do for me?' and don't care about anyone else. But to not care AT ALL is beyond my comprehension.

peterba, steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  14. Learning

And mine.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And everyone with that right also has the right to withhold it. The fallacy that it's better to vote for anyone than to not vote at all has resulted in utter barrel scraped candidates getting elected. We should hold to a higher standard and not legitimise the election of self serving tossers.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

One of our councilors who's restanding for election, their claim to fame over the last term is getting a street sign fixed. With dedication like that I know where my 'X' is going :rolleyes:

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair that's more than most achieve...

dangie and peterba like this.
  18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Prefer to have just Bojo, utterly dissolved:D

MJB, Zou, LesleySM and 1 other person like this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Bin didn't get emptied this week? That's politics.
    Potholes in the road? That's politics.
    Local library closed? That's politics.
    Etc.

Zou likes this.
  20. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Surely everybody needs a 1DX. Nothing to do with greed.

MJB likes this.