1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in a bubble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Geren, May 5, 2021.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm taking a break because I've just had an exhausting hour long conversation with a grown up human who couldnt tell me if Scotland had gained independence, didn't know what Brexit stood for, didn't know if Brexit had happened, knew that they'd voted in both referenda but couldn't remember which way they'd voted, didn't know there was a difference between the concept of Europe and the concept of a European Union and who has previously referred to Scotland's First Minister as 'that wee woman what does the covid updates'.

I was going to ask if they were voting in the elections tomorrow but decided on the off chance that they didn't know there were any, I wouldn't alert them in case they decided to exercise their rights. How does someone get to be SO disengaged with EVERYTHING?

Zou, steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Gammon, then? ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised about "that wee woman" effect. I really do think the English Government should have thought about the possible unexpected effects of you all being exposed to Nicola, and the Welsh to their equivalent as a result of BoJo having his own show, every day.... Accurate, thought through Press Releases would have been better in my opinion, but then I've never basked in the false limelight of politics.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Boris fodder. His dream voter.

proseak likes this.
  5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Do you think s/he has heard of him, though?

S

Catriona likes this.
  6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Everything you have quoted is politics related. Obviously they have no interest in politics which you have. On the other hand their knowledge on say sports or music may be encyclopaedic.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They did say they didn't 'follow politics' but I feel that not following politics and not bothering to find out the result of a referendum you voted in goes beyond not following. It's utterly ignoring! You don't have to do a lot of reading or TV watching to pick up at least the very basics of what's going on in the world. This person has children. I can't see how someone could have kids and not be the least bit interested knowing how their education is funded and where their healthcare comes from and whether or not you're going to be able to go on your jollies to the Costa Del Whatever next year with them.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

We don’t have an English government.... we have a Scottish, Welsh, N. Ireland & UK government (which consists of members from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland & England) but not an English one.

Learning likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If they don't vote then their ignorance of politics should not matter.
    The risk is that someone in authority over them 'helps' them obtain a postal ballot and then 'helps' them vote. That would be an offence but who would know.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I vote you should have one - separate to Westminster - utterly devolved.

Zou likes this.
  11. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

All the time we are a union I’m fairly happy to have a uk government but am quite surprised when things are blamed on the English government or London.... when the uk government is all of the union and we have had a good deal of excellent prominent Scots and Welsh members but apparently it’s the English when things go wrong. Just saying.
    ;)

12. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

lol, you really expect anyone to take politics seriously these days. Personally I don’t believe a single word they utter.
    Like any good con man/woman politicians will show such interest in your problems, complete with raised eyebrows and furrowed foreheads, agreeing nods and sympathetic smiles......whatever it takes to convince you.

If you fall for it, then more fool you.
    They are all bent and devious and those that aren’t would sell their kids to be in a position to be so.

They are vile!!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Harsh..... but not far off the mark.

14. Learning

Why not go down a federal route? I was born in Yorkshire but live in Notts. Given of choice of voting in the East Midlands or Yorkshire I would be inclined to vote in Yorkshire unless a bit of tactical voting was needed.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Learning

Politicians come and go. By the next general election Bozo will be history. Tories are very good at removing leaders who become liabilities. Even Labour eventually ditch their leaders; they just allow leaders to fail dismally in an election before sacking them. As for Ms Sturgeon, its not my place to encourage her moving on.

16. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Try as I might, I don’t think the sincerity will come back. Thanks to the web and social media the public aren’t so easily hoodwinked as they once were. For me a long held pipe dream is perfect AI, not like the horror movies. But a algorithm that abides by the rules and laws that we are ALL supposed to adhere too. It seems many struggle to accept it applies to themselves too!!

Mankind can no longer be trusted, greed and weakness will eventually destroy this planet.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's the ignorant ones who vote who ruin it for everyone else. :rolleyes:

pixelpuffin likes this.
  18. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Would that be the ones that vote differently to you?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

You really meant "algorithm" ...

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My sentence can be punctuated/read in more than one way. ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.