1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Lines' on my Negative scans on B&W and Colour

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by PeteE, Mar 22, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have 2 Epson flatbed scanners - first one from a Deceased Camera Club Member the model Perfection 1650
    the second from 'Trash Nothing ' ( a 'Recycle site') Model 2480
    i got the second one as 1650 played up so much -- a bad electrical connection in the power cord -- mostly it would 'Preview' lots of coloured Lines not a preview scan and the sound it made was different to when it was previewing correctly.
    So the model Perfection 2480 takes only a strip of 4 35mm and needs a lot of playing about before it 'Finds' the negs to scan. So I used that one -- now 2480 has packed up -- the Strip Light does not come on.
    I get the 1650 working after lots of playing with position of electrical cord.
    Lately it has scanned with 'Lines' on the Negatives -- I took off top of BOTH scanners and cleaned glass underneath.
    To scan 'Medium Format' I use 'Home-Made Cardboard Masks' to hold the film strips as shown by owner before he died.
    I USED to get good scans -- NO LINES -- anyone got any ideas please ? I use Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer or PhotoShop 7
    Medium Format
    [​IMG]BESSA 66 : Konica SXG 400 test 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Bessa 66 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    35mm
    [​IMG]More tests from my 'Gift' Spotmatic-F by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My office scanner (HP 8600 ) produced vertical coloured lines the other day, even though the photocopy function, which must scan internally, worked perfectly. It did this from both vuescan (running update made no difference) on my mac and from the scan function in windows. I cursed, turned the printer/scanner off and on again and it all works again for now.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Check the platten (is that the correct word?) for dust at the leading edge. On my 4490 if I get lines it is because there's something on the glass, usually at the top closest the hinge (and whence the scan starts). Top side, not underneath. Otherwise maybe the scanned negative is too dense?