1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Limiteds

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hi there chaps, looking for advice on the Pentax range of Limited primes.

I've had a search of t'interweb for examples and prices and feel a second hand 35mm macro Limited may be within my means.

Having read a lot about various models, is this one a winner or is there a reason why it is within my grasp when others are, even second hand, prohibitively pricey?

Any info on this one, or any others you like, would be greatly appreciated.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

ssh but can I suggest you go over to the Pentax UK forum
    but don't tell anyone I said that...
    TBH from what I can gather all the Pentax primes are ok (I have the 35 f2.4 DA AL) which in relative terms was cheap (£150 new...) and it's ok.
    You may also be aware that they've had a bit of price rise in anticipation of the K50/K3 release.... or am I being cynical ;)

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi AVT,

The least expensive and one of the sharpest, for the money, is, as David states, the DA35/2.4 :) As for one's that I've had a fiddle with and enjoyed, I think the DA21/3.2 and DA70/2.4 are good, if not great, and, of course, DA35 Macro. As well, there are the FA limiteds ... and, IMO, the FA31 and FA77 are the winners there.

Also, FWIW, in Canada, all the original DA Limited's have been discontinued and taken over by the higher priced HD versions. I don't know if that is the case in the UK/Europe or not but, I suspect, if not, it's probably coming.

As for store with the limiteds: try SRS MICROSYSTEMS and there's nil in the used dept (except for FA28-105).

Then, there's FFORDES (PENTAX AF) LENS (new and used) FFORDES (PENTAX PK/PKA) LENSES (used)

And, then, there's LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE (used) LENSES and the
    LONDON CAMERA EXHCANGE (new) LENSES

And, as mentioned above, the Pentax UK Forums, the Pentax SLR Forums and, of course, the DePraved Review Buy and Sell forums :eek:

Cheers, have fun and good, eventually, shooting :D

Jack

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Jack,
    Have you seen post #666 In Your Bag on the Japan Camera Hunter web-site? Think you might enjoy it. ;)
    Cheers,
    Oly

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the pointer to the Pentax UK forum Spinno, lots of tempting classifieds there :)

I'm truly spoilt for choice! Many thanks for all the options there Jack.

I'll also have a think about the non limited primes too. Shouldn't be bias toward the expensive stuff. (well, the more expensive stuff ;) )

6. Done_rundleCams

Neat one, O_B, :D. Kinda like some threads on DePraved Review, only
    more pleasant ;)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

I'll say that the DA50/1.8 and DA35/2.4 are both of the same build quality -- very lightweight but, both, I would say, optically -- ticketyboo :) The DA55/1.4, whilst not in the Limited category, I don't believe, is, IMO, amazingly sharp but, also, not inexpensive although it was in the "price drop" this year :) Another one, is the FA35/2 which I had in my film days and was a brilliant lens and was included in the spring price drop ... in fact, the net (store buying) price was cut in half :D

Cheers and good luck with the choosing ;)

Jack

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

If you can cope with manual focus and stop down metering then there are some absolute gems to be discovered amongst the older lenses.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Definitely can, was hunting for a 50mm f1.2 but they remain just outside of my reach.

10. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Hi Atavar,

I recenty bought the DA 50mm 1.8 that Pentax released last year.

I know there is no comparison in build quality between this and the Limited range (or indeed some of the classic manual focus primes), but optically you can't go wrong and its dropped siginificantly in price (if you know where to shop). I'd highly recommend it.

11. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The 1.2 is around £250, but worth it. I would look no further than the K55/1.8 to start, a great lens for very little. Or for absolute peanuts the K55/2 which is virtually the same.

I haven't used the 35macroLtd myself but all the results I've seen and all the reports I've heard confirm it is a winner. My nearest Ltd in that range is the FA43 which I think has real character. Again there are older options. I love my K35/3.5 and even more so the K30/2.8 which if you can find one for good money has terrific IQ.

New prices have headed way too far north but buy well used and they will hold their value.

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for these suggestions, very much worth looking into :) I can quite easily see the 50mm 1.8mm being my first prime at that price.

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

If you can find one, the Pentax SMC FA 50mm f/1.7 is also very sharp. It is, of course, a full frame lens from the film era, but works a treat on my K-5. I picked it up from Ffordes in e++ for about £50. Why pay more I ask?

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the tip Monobod, i must admit Ffordes is becoming my go-to for second hand at the mo.