1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Limited Silver Edition"

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dangie, Feb 28, 2010.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Posted this on the "Camera Chat" section and not "Pentax" as I think it should apply to all makes. Pentax have just announced a limited edition silver K-7 body. For those getting on in years, like me, it looks wonderful. It takes me back to the film years when most cameras were silver. Personally I think they looked much better than todays all black bodies (I'm not counting the Pentax K-X, available in virtually every colour combination under the sun apparently).
    Pentax K-7 Limited Silver Edition

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Hey, looks good. If only I could afford one!

3. alanworland

alanworland Well-Known Member

When I bought my Canon 350D it was available from Jessops in silver and I bought one because like you 'it took me back' when bodies were satin chrome on brass and it wouldn't get so hot in direct sunlight
    I have since bought a 40D in black, and much prefer it!

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

plastic.

Black was originally introduced to make sure that bodies which had been used showed signs of use ... black paint is much more likely to wear or chip off than satin chrome and leaves tell-tale "brassing" marks when it does so. When the underlying body is plastic it doesn't need painting at all. What is really naff is black plastic painted silver.

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I like the black/silver look. It reminds me of.......

[​IMG]

Still got it, boxed up. probably never to use again.

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

To a very limited extent. Chrome metal can indeed look great, but chrome plastic just looks tacky from the off IMVHO.

Black plastic is fine, but black paint (or "paint look") is wonderful. The so-called black chrome which used to adorn Leica Ms from the 1970s on, can look horribly cheap if it wears.

7. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Agree with Tim, that looks very cheap and tacky :(

I saw one of the coloured Pentax DSLRs at the weekend. Bright orange. Looked more like a toy than a camera. And yes, it was being used by a Japanese tourist

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've always preferred black cameras - I think they look much smarter. When I started, you generally had to pay more for a black camera, and they were generally considered to look more "professional".
    Anyway, I think the first AF SLR with the "retro" look was the EOS 50E, which I've always thought looked ghastly, although the 300 carries it off, as do the Pentax two-tone versions - they're not too bad. The next milestone was the EOS 300D, which was utterly revolting in silver, but handsome enough in black.
    As to this camera, well it looks more or less OK, but much less attractive than the black model.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I've got a silver 300D. It looks cheap and tacky. Also looks a bit silly when you put a black lens and black flashguns on it.....bit like wearing white sports socks with black shoes and suit trousers :eek:

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Depends on how they've done the silvering but generally my view on modern silvered cameras is that they don't look right. Silvered plastic just doesn't look the same as real chrome on brass - although it's got to be better than orange... or pink... or... ;)

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Now, THESE are what coloured cameras should look like!

Sadly I don't own one. But I have red and blue No 2 Brownies, a brown VP Twin, black Nikons, black and chrome OM10s, a blue Ensign Ful-Vue and (personal favourite) a green Werra. So I'm thoroughly flippin' confused as to what colour cameras should be!

Adrian