1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight approaches!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by nmarley, Feb 23, 2001.

1. nmarley

nmarley New Member

Thanks for your replies all your comments have been valuable. However I may have phrased my query wrong. I am not looking for subjective aesthetical B & W photographs that project an amiable view of the situation. My aim is to feel the experience of being homeless. I am being objective - with what happens -therefore playing victim (so to speak), in other words I am not out to overlook anyone else's unfortunate plight. I want to know and be able to show what it is like and how you would manage if your were in that position.

There is something contaminating about projecting a camera in front of someone even if they are cooperating - I would sooner undertake a portrait exercise on the subject at hand. Anonymously taking shots should put me in the right circumstance to cross the them & us barrier that comes through all circles of life.

Imagine that I'm in the corner of a subway etc I will fire of shots when people walk past. Normally when this happens people do one of two things. 1 - they ignore the person or 2 they talk or give money. Well I would like to be that person sat on the floor - in order to get a first hand account of what it is like to be homeless. I want to ask people on the tube and document their reactions by taking pictures at the same time. And what happens after you pass these people - ? I hope to find out.

That's I why I need a camera that can do this. I understand the ethical principles about photographing without consent, but I am really doing this for a personnel reason and not to simply exploit the unfortunate - so yes I suppose one could call it selfish!. Perhaps my results will uncover a terrible misconception people hold about beggars? Who knows - that is one of the reasons I want to find out.

I will let you all know how it goes. But all I can say is within the realm of photojournalism, one must take risks to achieve results. So I hope that my endeavours will be rewarding.

nathan