1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by PhotoEcosse, Oct 6, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Is anyone experiencing problems since installing yesterday's upgrade to Lightroom CC or Lightroom 6?

If so, what OS are you using?

On Windows 7 (reverted to it from Windows10), I am finding that I can't export image files from Lightroom CC and it has crashed a couple of times (which it never did before).

2. Ddraig-goch

Ddraig-goch Active Member

I have not had this same issue as you. However, I downloaded the Trial version of Lightroom 6 from the Adobe website, as I have never used Lightroom before, but a number of friends have urged me to give it a go. the trial version of the software worked perfectly.

As a result of the trial I decided to go for the full registered version, but Adobe's website only offered the option of the Creative Cloud method of obtaining this on a monthly subscription, which I did not want. So I purchased a software licence for the full version from PC World.

Installation went fine. but when I launched Lightroom it immediately threw up a conflict with Windows. I then deleted both the Trial version and the new full version from my laptop before reinstalling the full version, but with the same results.

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled it SIX times; had three lengthy conversations with PC World's "Know How" team; and a next to useless online chat with Adobe (who frankly aren't interested and couldn't care less).

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble. I had not realised that Adobe had released a stand-alone version of 6 - I thought it was subscription only - so thank you for that information. You have to scratch your head a bit to find it on the adobe web-site as everything is aimed at pushing the subscription service - it is there however and there is also upgrade pricing for owners of earlier versions (£59 from 5.x) - no use to you I am afraid.

4. Ddraig-goch

No, but the response you sent me to another post on this forum has been very useful Pete. Off to PC World this morning to return Lightroom and hopefully get the right version of Elements.

5. PhotoEcosse

If the trial version of Lightroom 6 that you intalled "worked perfectly", then registering it by using the key you bought at PC World should not cause any problems. There are not two different versions - trial and full. They are identical.

Don't try re-installing - simply use the key on the package you bought to register the trial version that is working perfectly.

Adobe has now issued a "fix" for the problems I was experiencing with Monday's upgrade. (Basically turning off the "show 'Add Photos'" option in the Preferences) and it now works without problems.

There is one superb additional facility in the latest upgrade (imho) - the new De-Haze function is now included in the local adjustment tools such as the gradient filter, radial filter and adjustment brush. (In CC only, not 6.2, I believe)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Glad you have the problem sorted. With regard to the Haze removal tool, according to this week's AP it is included in the new version of Elements so I would guess it is also in PS6 Camera RAW. AP also tells us that a 'one click' blur removal tool, which apparently combats camera shake, is also in the new Elements. (In passing the update to CC works fine with W10.)

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I did the upgrade, haven't used it since (not had time) other than the new import experience - which is terrible :(

Very sad that they seem to be moving away from 'here are all these options, do what you want' towards 'here's one magic screen which we promise will do what you want even though it can't possible know what that is'.

8. PhotoEcosse

I agree that the new import screen looks terrible - but that is maybe because I am so used to the old way. Most of the import functions (all of those that I ever use) are still available by bringing out the side bars.

The pundits on the Lightroom fora seem to be suggesting that the new import screen is to "simplify it" to appeal to Elements users and, thus, bring them over to the CC subscription model before they finally ditch Elements and standalone LR.

9. Ddraig-goch

I tried that Pete, with the same results. Interestingly when I returned the software to PC World, they refunded me without quibble. Apparently they are supposed to contact Adobe to get authorisation if you have activated the software key. However, apparently it is so much hassle trying to get hold of Adobe to obtain the authorisation, they just issue a straightforward refund!

10. Grierson

I'm not sure how much PC world were charging for the 'key' but be aware that Amazon have the DVD version (although the stated OS is W8)

11. Grierson

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm really going to miss the directory browser for picking where to put the files you're importing. I don't see why it should open up another explorer window to show me where. I used to be able to import with two clicks, now it's at the very minimum about 5, not a lot, but not overall benefit to the added work.

13. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

14. PeteRob

Thanks to everyone for informing on the problems. I was about to buy standalone 6 as an upgrade to my 5.7 having seen the other day that it was possible but it sounds like the file handling is broken too far. Please tell me they kept the import via "add folder" and also that the folder list still allows renaming of folders. If not that is 100% of my workflow gone.

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Adobe's very poor customer service and imperious attitude were instrumental in me dumping all their products and soon after the MS system altogether. This was years ago - it seems nothing has changed. :rolleyes:

16. Grierson

Having taken some shots at Flamborough over the weekend in 'hazey' conditions applying the new Lightroom Dehaze tool this evening is a revelation. So it's not all bad news!

17. PhotoEcosse

.....and a new new version was released today, purporting to correct some of the problems with Monday's version.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

19. PeteRob

20. PhotoEcosse

Yes.

And, apart from the apology, I have always found Adobe's customer service to be very good - certainly a lot better than some other IT companies such as Microsoft and Apple.

My most recent example was when I (after much dithering and prevaricating) finally signed up for Adobe CC.

Put simply, it did not install correctly and did not work.

I used Adobe's "Live Chat" (it really means live typing) facility and a very nice man with an Indian name took me through the remedy step by step. He worked out what was wrong, told me what legacy files to delete from which folders and, after about 40 minutes of patient communication, had me up and running.

Absolutely brilliant. And the icing on the cake was that Adobe then e-mailed my a complete transcript of our "live chat" so that I could keep a record of the process.