1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom replacement - ON1 Photo RAW 2019?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Bazarchie, May 17, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I currently use LR classic, paying by subscription which comes with PS. The main benefit for me is the DAM and for most of my editing LR is fine. As I have said before I do not find PS intuitive but having made my own notes, I am getting better, but I still rarely use it.

I am OK with the current subscription rate, but there is talk of Adobe substantially increasing the price and if I ever retire it will be difficult to justify if I continue to use so little of the package.

Now that ON1 has DAM, is not a subscription product and can import a LR catalogue, collections, keywords and most of the LR edits, I am tempted to switch so I have downloaded a trial version. Far to early to form any view.

Any views on this product?

No guarantee they will not move to a subscription model. I have a standalone version of LR which I could use but I like some of the features in the latest version.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I bought ON1 2018. I still went from LR 6.14 to the subscription Classic. LR is easier and more intuitive to use. I haven't paid the upgrade to 2019. It is still evolving, I didn't find it that easy - if you know both PS (use of layers) as well as LR then it's a useful integrated package. The print module in 2018 was crude compared to LR and I like LR direct publishing to Flickr and Blurb - though I'm annoyed that SmugMug stopped Flickr working on my ipad. Maybe I'll look again at the 2020 version. I think they'll do annual updates. It might not be subscription but it's as good as! It needs much more resources than my computers have. My main use is on my Windows laptop when I'm travelling and it's very slow at rendering RAF files from my XH-1.

EightBitTony and Bazarchie like this.
  3. I've tried most LR replacements and conclude it's hard to beat. However, I'm retired and refuse to rent software for the rest of my life! It would be like renting a lawnmower! I upgraded to On1 PhotoRaw 2019 and am still learning my way around it (now 2019.5) whilst still using LR6.14. On1 is quite usable on my (slow) laptop where Affinity Photo was not. So, you could say I'm moderately impressed with the package but need to work a lot more with it before I leave LR altogether.