1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom: Film emulation profiles (not presets)

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by EightBitTony, Sep 3, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Does anyone have, or know of, any decent quality film emulation profiles for Lightroom Classic CC.

Not presets, but the profiles (added in v7.1 I think) which allow you to interpret the base RAW data and apply colour lookup tables before you start actual processing? It seemed like such a potentially useful feature, but I'm struggling with my google-foo to find any profiles.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The profiles are camera specific. As far as I know only Fuji name theirs after film types. I can’t say that I have explored the full set of profiles that come with LR, I’ll refresh my memory later. When I was looking at alternatives ( before went from LR 6 to LR classic) I got OnOne (2018) and that really goes overboard with profiles, I’d guess OnOne (2019, 2020) and soon to be released (2021) go even further.

With the colour editing in LR now I pick one of the camera emulations and refine from there.

3. EightBitTony

Hi Pete, the profiles in Lightroom are not camera specific. There are camera specific profiles provided which in theory align with the camera model, but in 7.1 ish they added the ability to define custom profiles including colour lookup tables and the like. They offer advantages over presets in that you can choose how strong the application of the profile is with a slider. There are plenty of creative profiles (mix of B&W and colour).

When you say camera emulations, which profiles do you mean?

upload_2020-9-3_11-59-14.png

So you can see 6 camera aligned profiles, but a bunch of creative ones. I'm looking to see if anyone's created film stock profiles.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ok - I only use the camera matching ones and you can't use, say, Fuji Astia one on a Canon image. It is hard to tell if one of the "Artistic" ones applied to a Canon image produces the same colouration as if it is applied to a Fuji image. I assumed that there would be a difference.

Pretty horrible the ones that are provided !

5. EightBitTony

Yup! There's a couple which provide the kind of movie / crushed shadows that I like, and I just wondered if there were any out there which claimed to be more aligned to true film :)