1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lightroom Catalogue, Aaaaargh!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by pz_pilgrim, Aug 31, 2014.

1. pz_pilgrim

pz_pilgrim New Member

I am slowly going crazy trying to figure out the lightroom catalogue.

The worst issue of all, is when i have finished post processing images, i then click on 'export' and choose a file name and choose the location to send the photo.

The completed image is a jpeg which is fine as i can then upload to facebook etc, but, how the heck am i able to export as a jpeg without the original raw file being lost in lightroom?

I have sooo many images that have a '?' next to them, after they have been exported.

I have tried to make 2 copies of the raw files before they are imported to lightroom, but of course, that still doesnt work as i need to process the raw file to get the look i want, so is it possible to finish post processing in lightroom on the raw file, then export it as a jpeg, but still retain the original raw file in Lightroom.

I took 8 action shots of skateboarders, which have now appeared and duplicated in a ton of folders none of which i sent them to, and dated folders appear in my 'pictures' folder some with photos in them, others completely empty...grrrrr...but thats another story!

2. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Well the RAW files should be in the folder/s that you imported them to in the first place. If you are on Windows go to 'Computer' and navigate to the location you gave Lightroom to store the files and you will find your RAW files there. If for some reason the files/folders have been moved outside Lightroom without it's involvement then the link to Lightroom will have been lost so hence the question marks.

1. To restore the link, right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) on the folder and choose Find Missing Folder from the context menu.
    2. Navigate to the file path of the moved folder and click Choose.

(Extract courtesy of Adobe :))

3. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

try watching this video made by Tim Grey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKmW3C8ijQ its 2 hours long and covers everything from importing to exporting and is extremely good

4. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I don't really understand why you are having a problem. All I can do is briefly detail my workflow which works without any problems:

1. Remove card from camera and put in card reader. Plug card reader into USB slot on PC.

2. Lightroom launches automatically when I plug in the card reader. It goes automatically to my default import settings (in my case it copies and moves the files from my card to an external HDD that I use as a Raw file store - but it could just as easily be a folder on an internal HDD). I enter any keywords that apply to all the files I am importing and then click on "Import".

3. Lightroom copies all my Raw files to my destination folder, builds previews and adds all the files to its Catalogue.

4. When I process a photograph in LR, I generally want either to then print it or, alternatively, export it as a Jpeg for competition use or even just sticking on a website. If printing, I do that straightforwardly in LR's Print Module. If I want a Jpeg, I click "Export", set my destination drive and Jpeg parameters and save my Jpeg to my destination folder (in my case, a different external HDD but, again, it can be a folder on an internal HDD.)

The important point, in relation to your perceived problem, is that processing the file in LR and exporting as a Jpeg does not alter or remove my Raw file in any way. The unaltered Raw file is still in my Raw files folder and my Lightroom Catalogue still has all the processing instructions I applied to it.

What are you doing differently to cause the problem?

5. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

The only time I've 'lost' files in Lightroom is when I've moved them manually outside the programme using say Windows Explorer. In that case obviously LR, or any other similar programme will not know here they are. If you're only exporting files and I do it all the time then the originals will still be in the (dated?) folder they were originally imported into. Mind you the date on you camera needs to be correct as I was recently searching for some friends files for him which he'd 'lost' to find that his camera date was showing as 2006!

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

First of all, open Lightroom, let it settle, then right click on the root folder (the start of your photo folders) and choose to synchronise. After finding all the photos, Lightroomwill then show what it has found, so you know what is there.

I think there are a couple of possible problems here:

1: You are confusing the meaning of export. Export leaves the original, whatever it is. Lightroomwill simply export a copy of any image, be it NEF, ACR, JPEG, TIFF, PNG etc etc, in the format you require. At no time will the original be deleted, indeed, any edit you make will simply be stored separately to the original image as Lightrooms editing is entirely non-destructive.

2: You have more than one set of folders where images are held, and don't always see them because of the way you have chosen to use Lightrooms cataloging functions. This isn't the most likely though, and I suspect that studying some of the Adobe TV videos will help you get to grips on the workings of the program.

7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Having read all that, is it any wonder that I use JPEGs in Picasa and Photoshop?

I just cannot be bothered with all this faffing about with Raw, Lightroom, etc.

But then, I am lazy and past my prime. Oh for the simplicity of Kodachrome:)

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

3. You have the raw files stored on a removable drive and you removed it. Lightroom can keep a thumbnail of the file in the catalogue so the image may "show" in lightroom if you look in the library even if it is "missing" because the medium has been disconnected.

I have found lightroom fairly consistent in its file handling but it loses the published collections if you merge catalogues, so I found all my Flickr and Blurb setups vanished when I decided to have one single catalogue in place of a new one for each year.

9. PhotoEcosse

That is absolutely fair, Roy.

Horses for courses, strokes for folks, etc., etc.

The objective, surely, is to enjoy our hobby and enjoy it in whatever way suits our individual personalities.

Have fun.

Eric

10. Roy5051

Thanks for that, been having fun for the past 35 years in photography, and for many more without photography before that. There I go, reminiscing again.......:)

11. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

With modern sensors having such excellent dynamic range, if you get the exposure right in camera (anyone remember film?) you should really have very little use for Lightroom and the in-camera processors shouls take care of most situations.
    Raw is great for emergency situations but IMO too much is made of this. Which leaves LR as a superb cataloging and digitial management tool.

12. Roy5051

Couldn't agree more; perhaps people have just become lazy, thinking that "near enough" will do in-camera, because "we can always sort it out on the computer".

The use of Raw, of course, is for those uber-enthusiasts who want to be able to correct those mistakes which are not covered by "most situations". I wonder what they did when taking transparencies? Or are they not that old?:)

13. PhotoEcosse

Threw away 30 out of every 36. Not least because of the amount of "bracketing" we did - half a dozen shots of every scene in the hope that one would be decently exposed. The new-fangled cameras with coupled exposure meters fairly improved the ratio of keepers to discards.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah quite. The whole concept of "getting it right in camera" is simply nonsense, as transparancy film proves. ;)

15. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

The conept isn't nonsense and was always the aim - but in my case with wildly varying degrees of success.
    I was recently looking back at slides of my trip to the Himalayas and was pleasantly surprised how often I got the exposure right: having got used to the 'panacea' of digital post-processing I wonder if I would achieve that now.

16. PhotoEcosse

Advances in camera technology would help.

Remember that back in those days, the only exposure guide you had was the one printed on the leaflet inside the film carton - and then your own assessment of what the various quoted weather conditions actually meant. (Plus, of course, your own experience - which probably came to mean more than the printed instructions.)

17. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

What about exposure meters? Surely mikeh201355 isn't that old!