1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighthouse.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by sappymike12, Oct 6, 2021.

1. sappymike12

sappymike12 Well-Known Member

Early morning at Happisburgh lighthouse on the North Norfolk coast.

Light house lit-sky small.jpg

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't think that quite works. The breakthrough of the light in the clouds is a bit bright. One of those shots that needs a grad (or stronger grad if you used one) to reduce contrast and then some shadow recovery on the lighthouse.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it is spoiled by the foreground, which is a complete disconnect. Think I would have been on the table in the middle.

4. sappymike12

I do like your critique but I like the breakthrough of the light in the clouds helps to give it more punch and makes it more contrasty it was a much more lighter image .

5. sappymike12

Thanks Mike. I kept the benches in to make the image more real.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Some of the areas looked a bit burned out and banded. I don't know how this looks - it is cropped to lose the banded red area then upsized, which is not the best thing to do quality wise. I crudely lost the table in the foreground.

not mine Light house lit-sky small.jpg

zx9r likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well that's a call you have to make when you're there and possibly revise when you're not. Issue is are you doing a documentary, reality record, or a creative view of something which in other light would be quite mundane?

8. sappymike12

I went for a long exposure to set a mood but not to make it surreal. I have left out some parts of the image that would have made it look like a theme park, and i do appreciate all of the comments thank you