1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Life in Old Dogs

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by colindavis, Feb 5, 2010.

1. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Went for an overdue eye test today and was intrigued to find attached to a piece of optometrists paraphernalia a Canon 30D. I was intrigued as to how such an old timer performed in this environment. The optician was not knowledgeable of developments in DSLR's which I thought was odd and could only say that the camera came with the equipment used to photograph.......eyes funnily enough and that it produced the desired results. Anyone seen evidence of old timers working in similar situations? Just for fun okay.

Colin :D

2. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Did you mean the Canon D30? - the 3 megapixel one from 2000 - then one of them took a photo of me and my wife at a military do recently. He said he was entirely happy with it (being regimental issue and never replaced) and was working off a monopod, no flash, at ISO 800.

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Last time I went for an eye test he was using a Nikon D70. He didnt seem to know much about it either, it was just what he was given.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I took these with a 300D and a macro lens designed 20 odd years ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But the optometrists cameras are designed to image the retina.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just aswell I'm not an optometrist then :D

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If it ain't broke then d...................

8. graham_mouat

graham_mouat Well-Known Member

The camera was probably attached to a fundus camera designed to photograph the retina. The limiting factor in terms of image quality is unlikely to be a 3-4 year old dSLR - it is the optics of an (often aging) eye that degrade the image. As far as I know no fundus camera manufacturer provides the facility to upgrade the kit when a new dSLR comes out, you would need to replace the whole thing and at £15-20K that is hardly economic.

Ours has a Nikon D70 attached and works well.

The price now is reasonable compared to 10-15 years ago - the ability to bolt on a high quality dSLR has meant about a 50% drop in cost from the days when the imaging device had to be custom-made. Mind you, we also have one with a modified canon F1 attached, but that is unused now. I also remember seeing one with a polaroid back about 20 years ago.

Graham

9. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "insight" Graham ;)