1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lest we forget...

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by gray1720, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

"Another person's medals" are not quite the same as a poppy. Can you provide a credible link to "the right way to wear a poppy"?

Also, wearing "another person's medals" strikes me as a rum thing to do in most circumstances; except, conceivably, for a child who was a minor when their parent was killed.

Cheers,

R.

2. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

It has been discussed many times over the years in the rights and wrongs and how to do things correctly, as my leading authority on this subject is no longer here to question I can only point people to the www.for answers, I am absolutely gobsmacked with all your knowledge Roger that you have never heard of this practice, of course there are many that say wear the poppy how you want as long as you buy one, then there are the modern day metal poppies made and plastic type of poppy with no leaf at all, I like the one showing the green leaf and when I wear it with pride the leaf will always point to the 11 o'clock position, if only in memory of my brave father and his brother. Oh by the way my poppy was bought last week while on holiday in Spain.....

3. Roger Hicks

Took me to For.com. As far as I could see, a blank page.

As I said, a credible link?

Cheers,

R.

4. IvorCamera

When I was replying to your previous post the "www.for" was highlighted for some known reason of course I did not want you to check this out! what I suggested was check google out or one of the many search engines for further information out on this subject unfortunately at this moment of time I cant produce facts I can only tell you about the traditions associated with how the poppy should be worn...

5. Roger Hicks

No change there, then. I apologize for being so apparently heartless when dealing with such an important subject, but basically, you're making it up as you go along, or regurgitating something you've never bothered to check.

Cheers,

R.

6. IvorCamera

I beg your pardon, but I dont make things up as I go along neither basic or real. There is no reason for me to check anything out, I know what I am saying and what I am doing, just because you have never heard of the practice it does not mean whatever I say is not true.

7. Roger Hicks

The onus is usually upon the person who makes an assertion to prove it, or to provide some evidence.

Why are you unable to do so? "I know I am right" doesn't count as proof. Sorry.

Cheers,

R.

8. IvorCamera

Surely there must be somebody else on here who has heard of this practice, ever since I was old enough to wear a poppy the green leaf has always pointed to 11 o'clock, now I must sign off here as I am running out of power on my tablet, and in future before I write anything on here I will have to research more thoroughly just to satisfy the same person who has nothing better to do than ask for facts...........it seems that way!

9. Roger Hicks

Actually I have lots of better things to do. Right now I'm cutting matts for Frances for an exhibition next week-end; earlier, I was working on an article for Johnny Mobasher's Street Photography site. I am however disinclined to let people get away with unsupported assertions. I like people to have a good idea of what they are talking about, and if they uncritically accept nonsense, I am contributing to the sea of ignorance if I do not challenge those who cannot defend what they say.

What are YOU doing that is so important that you cannot be bothered to provide even the most basic information? This post took me a minute or two.

Cheers,

R.

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I must admit to never having heard of the 11 o-clock leaf pointing. Having done a quick search, it seems to me that someone said it once so it must be law. Wear it how you want, when you want, as long as you don't tell me how and when to wear mine, or indeed if, but that's a whole new thread. It's a trivial non argument really.

Andrew Flannigan and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Dear Craig,

VERY true. But I've encountered an awful lot of people who took as Gospel something that their parents said, or a primary school teacher said, or something they read and never thought about.

I've been caught out too often on my own misconceptions, and I've seen too many people trying to propagate parochial nonsense, such as the distinction between "further" and "farther". This is at best regional, and at worst nonsensical.

Cheers,

R.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Couldn't find any credible sources I'm afraid but if the BBC will do; "There are also many people who say that the leaf should point to 11 o'clock."

Sauce: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41942346/remembrance-poppy-controversies-and-how-to-wear-it

First year I've noticed it but I saw a fair few folk wearing them that way and it looks like they meant it. Some of them were gold plated metal and had the leaf at 11 if the clasp goes on the left....they seem to make posh ones to be worn that way.