1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lenses

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by albini13, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

but you said ALL EOS cameras have it,mine doesnt.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.

- Ansel Adams

2. Larry Shone

easier to use DOF button and take time to compose the shot i find. Keep the button pressed and select the aperture that puts what you want in focus, fine tune the picture

- Ansel Adams

3. Larry Shone

Re: Lenses / albini / tim

another thing i find about jessops when it comes to s/h gear is the amount of time the cameras/lenses are on display with no caps on. All that dust cant be good.

- Ansel Adams

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I forget……you're using a Canon I believe?

Canon's 14mm is (along with similar focal lengths from Sigma, & Tokina or Tamron (one of those two anyway) the widest SLR lens available. It has a price to match though; the Sigma is far more reasonable. This is an extreme lens under any circumstances. For pictures taken with a Sigma 14mm check out a number of Roger Hicks books from the late 1990's.

Next up is the Tamron 17mm adaptall lens. I have had one of these for a few years with a Nikon mount, and its a good 'un. I 'm uncertain whether this is at all comptible with Canon EOS though. For pictures,see same places as for the 14mm!

Canon's 20mm, and various wide angle zooms (20-35mm, 17-35mm, 16-35mm) are next. The current 16-35mm is a cracker (ask burgy), but v. expensive. Canon's 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 might be of interest though. I think this about the same price as the 20mm f/2.8 (which is a quite sizeable item).

For the ultimate wide angles though, you'd have to get yourself a Voigtlander Bessa camera. The cheap and cheerful L model is fine. Then you can play with 15mm f/4.5 and 12mm f/5.6 lenses!

Tim BSRIPN

5. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

The Canon 16-35 2.8 is around the £1,400 mark. Thats quite expensive for a lens i agree. I have been told by a friend that a 35mm negative can only hold so much information. What is the widest angle lens you can get away with, with a 35mm negative ?

Which would you say is the best out of the lenses below ?

Sigma 20mm 1.8
    Canon 20mm 2.8
    Sigma 15mm 2.8

Which one would you go for ?

6. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Nikon used to make a 6mm Circular fisheye, Canon a 7.5mm, relatively limited applications, initionally deveoped for photographing the sky, giving at least 180 degree field of view on a 35mm Neg

BUrgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

7. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Nikon used to make a 6mm Circular fisheye, Canon a 7.5mm, relatively limited applications, initionally deveoped for photographing the sky, giving at least 180 degree field of view on a 35mm Neg

I would opt for the Caon 20mm every time

BUrgy

8. Larry Shone

and costing an absolute fortune! You can buy a semi fisheye from jessops for about 30 squids i believe,also double as a macro adaptor.Not great results,but it works and you dont have to seel both arms and a leg to own one.

- Ansel Adams

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It has A-DEP, which can be used in a very similar way with the 300.

Nick BSRIPN

10. Larry Shone

i dont use it nick,its a gimmick

- Ansel Adams

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, it's not. I much prefer DEP to A-DEP, but it works well on the 300 because of the extra focus sensors.

Nick BSRIPN

12. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Just because you dont use it doesnt make it a gimmick, as I have posted in previous threads I use it, not only for maximising depth of field but also for get minimum required DoF ie for portraits.

Burgy

13. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Sorry Numanoid but your quote "Not great results,but it works and you dont have to seel both arms and a leg to own one." says it all, if it cant deliever quality results in the eye of the user, then then the user wont ever be satisfied = waste of money, better of saving and waiting and buying a piece of equipment that will deliver the results that you are happy with.

Burgy

14. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Amen to that

Tim BSRIPN

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"The manager refused to let me take any pictures as he said the stuff would then be 'used'. It was OK to put it on a body and practice focussing on objects and firing the shutter etc, but if he would not let me put a film in it!"

Rob,

That is, IMO, a load of rubbish/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif. Did they not even have a used body to
    use with the lens?

Cheers,

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Gavin,

The "Sigma 15mm 2.8" is a 'semi-fisheye' lens.

One lens you might want to look out for is the
    Tamron 19-35 AF lens. They sell for about $456 CDN
    or about £200. Not a bad lens at all considering the
    cost.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

17. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

"That is, IMO, a load of rubbish. Did they not even have a used body to
    use with the lens?"

No. It struck me as poor that they would not consider the stock on their shelves which they use for demos as ex-demo one it has been handled. I could have opened the back and bent the shutter curtains and if they didnt notice it would still be sold as 'new', but put a film in it and its a completely different story. Strange set of rules they gave themselves...

18. gordonblue

gordonblue Well-Known Member

The semi-fisheye from Jessops is really low quality. I bought one for a 'play' before splashing out on the Sigma 1.8. You have to use it with a really small aperture to get even vaguely acceptable results. Would waste your money on one, if I were you (unless you want mine cheap!).

If I'd had Burgy's resources, I'd have bought the Canon 16-35, but I didn't / don't, so I went for the Sigma. It allows me to take pics I couldn't otherwise, and they're good enough for my purposes.

19. Larry Shone

i dont find it works for me,would rather use the DOF preview button.

- Ansel Adams

20. Larry Shone

but a lot cheaper than a 6mm fisheye.

- Ansel Adams