1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lenses

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by albini13, Sep 16, 2002.

1. albini13

albini13 Well-Known Member

One of the lenses that i love to use is the Sigma 24mm 2.8 macro lens, the only problem is that it sounds like a tractor rolling over glass when it focuses. Should i go and buy the Canon 24 mm 2.8 and how do the two compare ? The only problem i believe with the Canon 24mm is that its not macro. Would I fall into the bracket of equipment fetishist if i brought the Canon as well ? Or is it justified quality wise ?

2. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Well I'm a bit confused as to why youd want AF on a 24mm lens.I dont use it on my 50mm,no point!
    And as for it being a macro, well i wouldnt imagine youd get anywhere near macro unless it was reversed.
    Must say the lens i loved the most was a 24mm f2.8. It was a Carl Zeiss Jena for my older Minolta X300.A cracker of a lens.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.

- Ansel Adams

3. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

The Sigma appears to produce better results according to the technical site www.photodo.com

Pete IRIPN

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"Well I'm a bit confused as to why youd want AF on a 24mm lens."

Larry,

He might have a Minolta or Canon or Nikon AF camera in which he has to
    use an AF mount lens. Of course, if he had purchased the Pentax MZ-6,
    he could have got away with a Manual Focus 24mm lens./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

He might have a Minolta or Canon or Nikon AF camera in which he has to use an AF mount lens

'Cept for the Nikon of course! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN

6. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

You might be confused, one point is that and AF camera will focus a wide angle more accurately than the eye (in most cases) on a plain screen that most AF cameras are equipped with.

I used AF all the time with my 16-35mm except in situations where I know that it wont work, ie Car shots, when the lens may try to focus on the reflections in the glass.

Burgy

Its not what you've got, its who you do it to. http://www.pressfotos.co.uk

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't suppose he would be asking about the Canon lens if he had anything other than a Canon camera (which I know anyway from other questions).
    Now I reckon that just ASKING this question is enough to guarantee equipment fetishist status!

Nick BSRIPN

8. Larry Shone

i wouldnt think youd need AF with a w/a lens tho,as theres so much more DOf and less margin for error,but I'll take your word for you being a Pro and having a lot more experience than most of us.

- Ansel Adams

9. Larry Shone

but he can switch the AF off

- Ansel Adams

10. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

..using a 24mm wide open doesn't allow 'guessable' focusing - particularly at the closer distances, even moreso if the subject is moving - so AF is a definite advantage. Another point to remember is that DOF is just an area of 'acceptable sharpness'. The actual focus point is quickly and more readily obtained by an efficient AF system.

perks

11. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

I thought almost all serious macro shooters used manual focus, because it is more accurate, and because they want to contol where the DOF lies when the camera is stopped down to take the picture - something AF cannot judge.

And with wide angle where the DOF is quite big, the camera will settle on a point which is acceptable focus. The bigger the DOF, the bigger the margin for the camera not getting it exactly where you want.

Also, wide angle is probably more common for landscapes where Hyperfocal focussing is required, and it CANNOT be done using AF except in odd cases like the funny auto-hyperfocal modes (on minoltas I think).

12. Larry Shone

but if youre going in really close,say with a macro lens then forget AF,better off using manual.

- Ansel Adams

13. Reading

Thats not to say that I dont use AF on my wide-angles, but MF is quite do-able - I am just lazy!

I know a lot of people who prefer manual focus because it is more accurate. Of course, they often use MF cameras and bitch about modern viewfinders.

Sometimes I even AF landscapes just guessing a point about a third into the picture or so and hoping for the best - ultimate laziness!!!

14. Larry Shone

Thats why i hardly use AF these days,unless im in reasonably close and using a wide aperture or using the long zoom.
    Then the AF comes into its own.

- Ansel Adams

15. Larry Shone

i like the idea of using hyperfocal distance but neither of my lenses have it!
    Good thing I have a DOF preview button eh!

- Ansel Adams

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All Canon EOSs have a hyperfocal mode - one of their main advantages!
    I agree with Burgy. There are two good ways of focusing a wideangle - AF and a rangefinder. I have no problems with my eyesight, but the other two methods work better.

Nick BSRIPN

17. Larry Shone

mine doesnt have an hyperfocal mode!
    oi canon,wheres me hyperfocal mode?

- Ansel Adams

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh yes it does.

Nick BSRIPN

19. Larry Shone

oh where is it? Dont tell me its the A-Dep mode which is about as useful as an ash tray on a bike!

- Ansel Adams

20. Reading

How exactly does hyperfocal work on the EOS? Do you select the near and far points to be in focus and leave it to work out the aperture and focus point?

I cant find mention of a hyperfocal AF mode on the canon site for the EOS 30/33...