1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lenses

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by SLRGIRL, Jan 18, 2001.

1. SLRGIRL

SLRGIRL New Member

Do wideangle lenses come in 8mm,and do they have fish eye zoom lenses

sgirl

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends what you mean by the question. Yes,for 35mm 8mm lenses are available, yes they are wideangles, but they are all true fisheyes ( i.e. 180 degree image in all directions and a circular image). Pentax make a 17-35mm ( I think) zoom which is a full-frame fisheye (180 degree coverage across the diagonal of the frame).
    The cheapest way of getting a fisheye effect is to buy a cheap (and fairly grotty) fisheye converter which screws to the front of another lens. Given that the circular effect gets VERY boring quite quickly, it's a much better option. Now I just wish I could afford a full-frame fisheye....

3. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

i have a 15mm full frame fish eye lens, and a 17-35mm, the 15mm is a true fish eye, but the 17-35 in all brands i belive is opticaly corrected so you dont get the distortion associated with a fisheye. so if you are after a fisheye, you cannot have a zoom, and they are quite expensive! i paid £400 for my 15mm fisheye. which is the about the cheapst I'v found one brand new.

excuse my grammer!

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mistake in my previous post - the Pentax fisheye zoom is 17-28mm, but it IS a fisheye zoom - to the best of my knowledge, the only one.

5. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

are you possetive?!
    how on earth can that be physicaly possible?!?!
    please could you give me a link.. I'd like to read how it was made
    as surely you cannot have the immesnse distortion at 17mm to the non relative
    distortion at 28mm.. the front element would have to change shape!?

excuse my grammer!

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Raz, I have got the info from oldish magazines (a year or two old). The shape of the front element is surely irrelevant - the question is wether the lens as a whole is rectillinear at 17mm or not, and I don't see why that can't be tackled with a floating internal group. I'm sure Pentax must have a website, but I haven't looked for it.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

8. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

to get the fisheye distortion, you have to have a very convex front element, thats why you cant use filters on them. but perhaps it is possible, although at 28mm you would still have huge distortion just a narrower angle or view, which wouldnt be like a normal 28mm lens, but perhaps its a full fisheye through the whole scale.. it looks sweet!
    good on you pentax.. now come on nikon!

excuse my grammer!