1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

lens problem

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by milt, Apr 20, 2011.

1. milt

milt New Member

in order to buy the lens i want i have been told to firm up my camera sorry i dont understand
    :confused:

2. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

I'm presuming that you need to update the 'firmware' on your camera so it can 'cope' with the new lens. Like updating your computer programs. Look on the website for the make of camera and see what the latest update is for your particular model. The update needs to be downloaded onto your camera. That's as much as I know and hopefully someone more knowledgable can add to this. There should be more info in the camera instructions. :)

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

More info what's the camera what's the lens.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

sounds like nonsense to me. There are problems with older sigma brand lenses talking to more modern cameras - but within a given manufacturers range lenses should be backward compatible with most cameras. Unless of course you have an old film camera but it would have to be quite old (15 yrs?) for a modern lens not to fit. So to repeat question already asked - what camera and what lens?

but of course firmware updates do not apply to film cameras

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Begining to look as if the OP`s not returning:(
    In his(her?)only other post an Olympus E300 evolt is referred to.

Is that not the way it was marketed in the good old US of A?;):rolleyes:

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Is Northumberland over the pond now then?! :D :D

7. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I didn`t know the OP lived in Northumberland.
    Why is the E300 called evolt in USA?I know little of Olympus cameras since the XA.:eek::D

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

On some Olympus E series cameras it is necessary to update the camera or lens firmware to enable them to operate together. As usual the downloads are available from the manufacturers website. I found this out when I bought one as an easy to carry lightweight system, as I am unable to drive at present, due to illness. I had considered a csc, but dislike the evf they are equipped with.

9. milt

milt New Member

soory been away cos its my birthday the camera is an e300 evolt and the lens i am considering is the 50-200 telephoto

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

OK, have a look here. There are firmware upgrades listed for both Oly cameras (including your E300) and various lenses.

The current firmware for the E300 seems to be version 1.5. You should be able to find out your current installed version on your camera's menu. In any case download it and install according to instructions, and do the same for any lenses you might have which are listed to ensure they'll still work.

Hope this helps.