1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens mount repair

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dream_police, Mar 8, 2021.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea how much roughly it would be to repair/replace the lens mounting ring (if that is what it is called) on my Panasonic GX80 (MFT) camera. It is very difficult to remove and replace lenses onto the camera. Something sticks somewhere. Putting on my Olympus lens yesterday and it didn't even make contact with the contacts properly. the lens worked but only in MF. Taking it off and reseating it got the AF to work again. It happens with all of my lenses to a differing degree of stiffness and an amount of force is required (just increased force from the arms not with tools!) I am therefore happy it is a camera issue and not the lenses. I don't recall it being dropped or knocked.

Obviously when lockdown ends I can take it into a shop in Manchester but as I have never had a camera repaired before I wondered what the general sort of costs are.

A newer Lumix, a GX9 can be had SH from around £350 so if it is likely to be pricey I'd get another camera instead.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Any chance of some pictures showing the lens and body mounts clearly? Those of us with M43 outfits might spot something you've missed.

3. dream_police

Yeah, will do. I have attached 4 lenses to it, all are a very tight fit. I am happy that it isn't the lenses that are at fault as they wouldn't all be damaged.

4. dream_police

If it helps, as soon as any lens is placed into position it is stiff from the first turn and gets a lot stiffer until it locks into place. There is no grinding sound, I've wiped off the mount, there was no dirt or debris of any kind. The lens release lug works fine. Taking off the lenses is an effort.

Full size on Flickr

[​IMG]lens mount 1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]lens mount 2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]lens mount 3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]lens mount 4 by Nigel G, on Flickr

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Looks from the photos that there are some marks on the surface. It's hard to see how a mounting plate can get "broken", the tolerances are necessarily very close so any friction will have a disproportionate effect. Are the lenses weather sealed? Just wondering if the marks are rubber. I've got a vague memory that I had a camera and a couple of lenses that just really stuck but as of this minute I can't recall the details.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Nigel. Here are the flanges at the 12, 4 and 8 o'clock positions on my GH2. I've checked other mounts and they look the same as these...

M43 mount on GH2 12 oclock D600 4669.JPG
    M43 mount on GH2 4 oclock D600 4671.JPG
    M43 mount on GH2 8 oclock D600 4670.JPG

Nothing leaps out at me. Perhaps the springs on yours are further away from the bottom of the mount? That could just be the different angles we've taken the pictures from.

Sorry if that hasn't helped.

dream_police likes this.
  7. dream_police

Not weather sealed no. I wouldn’t mind if it was a couple of lenses but all of them from cheap to really expensive. It must be the springs really although they don’t appear damaged and still springy.

8. PeteRob

I only asked in case attaching the lens required an 'O' ring or the like to be compressed. I just took a look at one or two of my Canon lenses and the rubber seal I found wasn't particularly substantial.

Has the camera always been like this or is it recent? Lens and camera at similar temperatures ?

dream_police likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There are some signs of use there, normally I would expect it to slacken. Tbh replacement looks a five minute DIY job if you can source another mount.

dream_police likes this.
  10. dream_police

I have only noticed it recently but it’s not a camera I use that often since getting the Fuji and if I do I don’t often change lenses. Up until it became stiff the lenses went on as you would expect, with ease. It is thst stiff now though even someone who has never handled a camera before would know it was wrong!

Catriona likes this.
  11. PeteRob

If you are careful, you might try polishing the face with a lint-free cloth just dabbed in a bit of PTFE lubricant. Don't get the lubricant spray anywhere near the open camera though.

12. dream_police

I think I have solved it. I tried to remember the last time I used my camera in anger and it was last year on The Gower and I changed the lenses a few times. One lens I do not use was the one that came with the camera so I have just put that on. It went on and came off fine (well as good as). I have therefore cleaned all of the mounts on the other lenses and it has improved it no end. In fact the Oly goes on like a dream Perhaps the lenses that I had last used were transferring crap over to to the camera. Lubricant seems a good idea. I don't have any PTFE so I'll just spray on some WD40.:)

Thanks for the help folks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  13. PeteRob

I wouldn't! It will leave some oil residue. If they are working now I'd leave it at that.

14. dream_police

I was joking! Although I have just seen that WD40 do make a dry PTFE lubricant spray.

Catriona likes this.
  15. PeteRob

They do. It is only dry when the carrier has evaporated. Until then it’s as messy as the original. It leaves a “dry” layer behind supposedly. I used it on my bike chain/derailleur last summer. In the winter I stick to oil.

16. dream_police

So joking aside, what lube would you recommend for it out of interest as I would have thought any type of lube/grease in that area would attract dirt etc?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try Newton - Ellis?

S

ps they may be able to give you some idea over the blower.

18. PeteRob

PTFE - it is in a carrier fluid that evaporates and it leaves a dry film behind. I’d try it out on something not the camera by squirting some onto a non-absorbent surface, then transferring a bit to a lint-free cloth and wiping the test surface. It should go dry and smear free and be very slippery.

The main function of traditional WD-40 is not lubricant but as a penetrating oil, degreasant and (to an extent) anti-rust agent. It leaves an oily film for that latter purpose.

Changing the subject to bike chains - the PTFE spray (once the carrier has evaporated) leaves the chain dry so it doesn’t pick up dirt as dust like an oiled chain does. But if the chain gets wet it washes off so needs reapplying, and is not so good in winter where mud will stick to the chain anyway. If you look up dry-lubes for bikes I expect they will all be PTFE in a light hydrocarbon carrier fluid.

I also keep Silicone spray - does similar to PTFE for plastic surfaces but the layer is slightly greasy and not so durable. Good for curtain rails, drawer runners and the like.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I transplanted a Samsung GX10 mount into a vacant Pentax K10 mount opening. Amazingly enough it worked!

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't it work? The cameras use identical mounts and are both Pentax anyway.

Incidentally there are couple of spares only Panasonic G series cameras on Ebay.