1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens Hoods

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by fabs, Jun 10, 2007.

1. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get lens hoods for Sony Alpha 100 lenses?

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Which lenses Marc?

3. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

The standard kit lenses, 18-70mm and 75-300mm.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Ah, bayonet fit ones, sorry I can't help you there all the spares I have are the older clip on type. I think both lenses are actually Tamrons (Sony own a large chunk of them) so you may be able to find one easier that way.

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger, I'll look at Tamrons.

6. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have just had a look at warehouse express and they say that you get the hoods when you get the lens.

Surely this should be the case no matter where you get the lens from as it is supplied with the lens?

I would contact the retailer that you got your `kit` from and ask them why you got the kit incomplete and get them to rectify it.

7. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I did get hoods with the lenses. I was looking for the Flower type hoods.

8. Gordon_McGeachie

oh right........

I thought you meant they did not come with any hoods

but I think you mean `petal` not `flower`

9. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I've seen them listed as both, but yeah, it is the petal ones I'm looking for.

10. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

As a newcomer, I'd be interested to hear what the difference is between the flower/petal type covers compared to the standard ones supplied with the lenses (which I have).

Can anyone explain?

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Petal hoods are particularly useful for zoom lenses. The 'petal' appearance of the hood is the result of designing the hood to provide the best possible lens shading at all focal lengths and to a lesser extent at all focus ranges.

Because a camera crops the frame from a circular lens image the effective angle of view for any lens depends on the dimension of the frame in question. For a square format such as 6x6 the angle of view horizontally & vertically are the same but slightly less than the diagonal (dear old Pythagoras!). Because the 35mm/APS-C format is a rectangle the AoV is different vertically (least), horizontally (wider) and diagonally (greatest), as a result the shade has the longest projection to and bottom (vertical AoV), medium at the sides (horizontal AoV) and shortest at the corners (relative to the diagonal AoV) which results in the characteristic shape...

Prime lenses can also benefit from the same design though as the focal length is essentially fixed the petal appearance is less exaggerated. With very long lenses the differences between the angles of view for each dimension tend to be so small as to negate the need for petal type hoods so are usually fitted with normal types of hood...

12. Gordon_McGeachie

spot on........

13. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Easy for you to say! :D

Thanks for explaining it, I couldn't have!!

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But not so easy to type when you only use two fingers.................and they seem to have dyslexia.......... :D

15. Skyclimber

Skyclimber Active Member

Yes, thanks El Sid, that's really helpful.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No problem... :)