1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens error?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Garry Shepperd, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Hi guys. I would be very grateful of any help. I purchased a second hand Nikon D800 (with only 8000 actuations) £985-00, absolute bargain. I also purchased a Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8 - 4 D lens. (No VR) I was hoping to use this lens on my 'holiday camera' (D5100) but this error comes up every time? I have tried locking at F22 or setting to F2.8 unlocked but the same error comes up. Any ideas? Gutted that I disposed of my 18-105mm DX that used to sit on the D5100 but I thought this lens would perform even better on it?

Attached Files:

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is there a compatibility issue? Some Nikon lenses work well with newer cameras but newer lenses don't always work with older cameras and vice versa.

3. Not sure to be totally honest. I hope someone will know if there is a compatability issue. Thanks.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Garry Shepperd likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don’t have a D800 but, look at the lens mount, there should be a plastic piece sticking up just outside the metal of the mount. There is a ridge on the lens that contacts this piece and, as you rotate the aperture ring moves this part that is ticking up. If there isn’t anything sticking up that may be the problem.

If the lens works on the D800 but not the D5100 it could be that it isn’t contacting the minimum aperture switch.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Try cleaning the contacts on both the body and the lens. It will only work when set to minimum aperture. Correct me if I'm wrong but a D lens will not autofocus on a D5100. I assume the 24-85 works as it should on the D800.

Garry Shepperd and Learning like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you do not have Excel on your pc then you can get a free viewer from Microsoft.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a compatibility issue. I think the camera isn't detecting that the lens is at minimum aperture. There could be a number of reasons but first we need more information such as:
    1. Does the lens work correctly on the D800?
    2. Does the message only appear when it is used with the D5100?
    3. Does the message appear when other lenses are used on the affected body/bodies?

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The answers to Geoff’s questions would help.

I resorted to google. It seems to be an informational message rather than an error code. Once the lens is physically at minimum aperture you use the camera body to set the desired aperture electronically. Check that you aren’t asking for F32 or something impossible. Your picture shows +5 stops exposure compensation so I presume you’ve had some extreme settings in use.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The attached image appears to show the D5100 but I would still like to know what happens with the D800.

12. Yes, it works fine on the D800 but that error comes up every time on the D5100 and yes, I have tried cleaning the contacts. Thanks for the reply.
    Hello, thanks for the reply. Yes the lens works okay with the D800, although the results so far are hit and miss. The D5100 works with three other lens I use with never any error coming up, only this 24-85?

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Then I suggest that there is a problem with the 24-85 lens. It is also possible that there may be a problem with the D5100 but that is less likely. Unfortunately diagnosis beyond this is difficult on a forum.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Are you setting the lens to minimum aperture when it's on the D5100? I'd like to see a photo of the lens's aperture ring to see if it has the "rabbit ear" and a lock on the aperture ring. The message is a warning, not an error.... maybe there is a communication problem with the lens to the body; does it have an inbuilt focus motor or do you have to manually focus it on the D5100?

There appear to be at least 3 versions of the 24-85 f/2.8 - f/4 so it would be good to know which one you have

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No AF lenses have “Rabbit Ears” with AI-S and later lenses the meter coupling is by means of a ridge on the aperture ring. This couples mechanically with a “dog” on a ring surrounding the lens mount. Alternatively, on lower priced bodies, the lens communicates electronically but a switch on the body is actuated when the lens is at minimum aperture. Garry says the lens is a D type and the fact that it has an aperture ring suggests that it does not have an internal focus motor. The later versions of the 24-85 being G type lenses. The selected aperture being set by the amount by which the lever connecting the diaphragm to the body is moved.

For the body to control the aperture the lens has to be set to minimum aperture, with the D5100 the aperture can only be set using the camera controls. The minimum aperture switch is actuated by a separate small ridge on the aperture ring of the lens, it is possible that this second ridge is either damaged or missing and isn't actuating the switch. This second ridge can be seen, just at around 3 O'clock in this image. http://nikon-asia.com/kdb/EN/2006/4792/1160a.gif

Sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I seem to remember though that some AF lenses whilst not actually produced with the rabbit's ears had two indentations in the appropriate position for the screws so they could be added.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Correct but, obviously, the ears would be purely cosmetic on a digital camera. They are redundant on any but pre AI cameras.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you put an AF or AF-D lens on an F4, F5 or any top model Nikon you get FEE displayed in the viewfinder, and possibly elsewhere, if the lens is not set at the minimum aperture in a mode that requires it, P or S. In the appropriate manual Nikon describes this as an "Error Message" the D5100 manual says exactly the same.

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

This image does not show if there is an "aperture lock" slider switch by the aperture ring, and this may need to be actuated for the lens to work with the D5100; if the switch is present, it may be non-functional (broken) hence the issue. If it's not there at all and the lens has been set to min aperture, then it's pointing to a lens fault

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I agree that it could be a lens fault, and the image is a generic one, but on the AF D lenses I have the aperture ring lock does just that, mechanically. Whether the lock is set or not, with the lens set to minimum aperture, the switch will be actuated as long as the ridge is present and the switch works. I am not assuming that the switch works just because other lenses work as they may be AF G types that don’t rely on the switch.