1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens choices

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by EightBitTony, Jul 30, 2018.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Alternatively, give me the benefit of the doubt and assume that I'm not doing that for a reason.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I don't understand your reply, and there is nothing on your forum profile to suggest what you may mean. If, given the funds from the sale of old kit, you are unable to travel for some particular reason, just say so. I don't need the reason, I just want to understand the reply.

If you don't want to travel abroad, try Littlehaven, on the Pembrokeshire cost, in May.

3. EightBitTony

#shiny

lens.jpg

daft_biker likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

So some immediate views. The colours on the 6D with this, vs. the 7D2 are much richer, I suspect that's the 6D, not the lens (and it's correctable in post anyway), but the sharpness is delicious. I know sharpness isn't the answer to everything, but I like to at least be able to choose between sharp and not sharp, rather than always soft at the edges, or a bit squiffy in the middle.

It's quiet and focus is nice and swift.

The closest I've gotten to 16mm before is the 10-18mm on a crop sensor (so roughly 16mm equivalent), and it's nice to be able to get that on the full frame 6D. I tend to shoot at narrower fields of view because a) capability (i.e. crop cameras, so generally 24mm or narrower) and b) preference (unless I'm shooting architecture, and I don't often shoot landscape, I tend to be shooting around 50-70mm). So getting out with the 16-35mm on the 6D will be quite challenging in normal circumstances.

What it does mean though is that with two bodies, I've got 16-35 on the 6D, and then 24-105 (or 36-around 170) on the 7D2, so 16 to around 170 with the two bodies.

So now I need to find a comfortable way of carrying two large bodies that doesn't make me look like an idiot, when I go shooting events (parades, carnivals, and the like, where even fast changing of lenses means I miss stuff).

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

One of the best things I did was to get rid of my FF system. Much of the time I just carry a Sony A65 with a Tamron 16-300 which covers virtually everything. When I feel like a little more reach I take a Panasonic G9 with a 100-400mm or an old G2 with a 9-18mm. My back and shoulders have been very grateful ever since. :cool:

6. EightBitTony

Thanks, not that relevant though?

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Of course it's relevant - if you don't want to (or can't) carry it, the best kit in the world is useless to you.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

Sigh. Where on earth did I say I didn't want to carry it? I said, a comfortable way of carrying them that doesn't make me look like an idiot. I want to carry them both.

@Andrew Flannigan 's post didn't mention any Canon cameras, nor any method of carrying two DSLR's comfortably. It's the very example of an irrelevant response.

I asked about a lens, you told me to travel, I asked about carrying two DSLRs, Andrew told me to give up my 6D.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's the internet. Why on earth would you expect relevance? :cool:

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Both on straps, one round the neck and one over a shoulder.

11. EightBitTony

Because this isn't the lounge, because this isn't a free for all, because you and Chester could spend 20 seconds thinking before pressing Post Reply? Because you're just making banal excuses for derailing a post?

12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Good luck with the 16-35 f4.... had mine for a couple of years and the more I use it the more I like it... really great lens. The other one I got recently was the 135 F2... if you get the chance to try one you won’t want to take it off.

13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

You could try the ignore button Tony.

6D and 16-35L, enjoy.

14. EightBitTony

Luckily I'm now skint for quite some time so there's no risk of further temptation :) Been out with it tonight for a quick walk along the canal / Trent, and is lovely. Now I just need to get to the coast with the right light and try my hand at some sea-scapes.

15. EightBitTony

I promised myself I wouldn't use the ignore button while I was running the challenges in the Themes and Comps forum - all bets are off once I stop.

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Don't come over to Suffolk then. Sun is still rising at Midnight I think. ;)
    Congrats on the purchase. Sounds an ideal landscape lens.

17. EightBitTony

My plan is get to the coast over the next couple of months while the weather is nice, find some spots I think might suit some landscape shots and then plan parking, etc. so I can head out at short notice during the Autumn / Winter without having to think about parking, getting there, knowing the place. I'm too easily put off by that stuff, so I'm trying to do what I can to plan in advance.

18. Craig20264

If you're heading this way I can give you lots of location advice, access, parking etc.

19. EightBitTony

Straight east from Nottingham is my plan. So this bit of the world.

upload_2018-8-3_19-7-36.png

Sadly, pretty much everywhere on the east coast is at least 2 hours from here (especially as I'm on the west side of the city), and some places more like 3.

20. Craig20264

Hmm. Bit high up for me. Furthest north I usually get is Norfolk/Suffolk border, so not much help to you.

EightBitTony likes this.