1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens choice

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Spyder01, Nov 22, 2020 at 7:32 AM.

1. Spyder01

Spyder01 Member

I'm looking for recommendations for an everyday lens, telephoto and wide angle for my OM-D E-M5. I appreciate that you get what you pay for, just wondered what similar users choose and have been happy with?
    Many thanks

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Do you want primes, short range zooms or a superzoom?

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Adding to Andrews question, what kind of budget are we looking at?

4. Spyder01

Spyder01 Member

Thanks Andrew & Snorri,
    I'm embarrassed to say that at this stage, I don't know the difference in those. I'm looking to learn technically so start at the bottom and work at it. I appreciate that good lenses don't come cheap but don't need the highest quality

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Ok, so fixed vs zoom. Prime (fixed focal length) usually give better quality for price as they don’t need to compromise in the design. But on the other hand zoom lenses give you much wider range while cutting corners on f stops (the amount of light they take in) and image quality (usually seen on the extreme wide or long end). There are zooms that come close to then primes, but that usually pushes the price up.
    But at the end of the day you are starting out, I would be tempted to tell you to go for the m.Zuiko 14-42mm II R and pair it with the 40-150mm R. These are relatively cheap manual zoom lenses (they are auto focus) but have good image quality, they cover the range most photos are taken in and would give you a good start.

Then when(if) you run into the limits of these two lenses you can sell them and spend some serious cash on the glass you really want/need. The thing is about lenses, the good ones are very expensive so don’t rush it until you know what you will use.

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

And don’t be embarrassed, we all started at some point. I for one wish I had asked more questions.
    Would have been so much easier and far less expensive... ;)

7. Spyder01

Spyder01 Member

That's great advice, thanks

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Wide angle: Olympus 9-18 ; everyday and telephoto can be combined with the 14-150 II.
    If you shop second-hand, there are some good bargains to be found although the 9-18 is in fairly short supply used, and finding one at a reasonable price may take a bit of time.

If you are after image quality for an everyday lens, try the 12-40 f/2.8... again it is pricey new, but there are a good number available second-hand.

Personally I'd pay a bit more for second hand lenses and get them from decent dealers that offer a warranty with them