1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lens and Sensor Cleaning Equipment

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Rob Hunt, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Rob Hunt

Rob Hunt New Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have got a LUMIX G80 which I'll be using for a couple of weeks and then it will be going away until my birthday in May. I'm looking into all of the accessories that I need to purchase.

One of the things that I am looking at, is lens and sensor cleaning equipment. I have had a look on Amazon but they all seem to have reviews saying that they are poorly made, the bristles on the brushes come off easily etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for good cleaning equipment? Ideally I would like one that comes with everything as a package with a case for it all included (so I've not got things lose in a bag) but if there are better alternatives by buying the stuff separately then I am open to this.

Rob.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Eclipse solution for sensor.
    Unless you really need to, leave the lens alone. If it does get smudged or wet through spray a soft cloth will clean it.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Sensor cleaning? I've experienced only one problem with dust on a sensor, on my old D40 many years ago. One say suddenly there was a rash of nasty dark particles on my images.. I bought the strangely named but highly effective Arctic Butterfly cleaner.

Lens cleaning: a packet of optical wipes from an optician (or Poundland/similar shops) and "LensPen" (and maybe some microfibre cloths) is all I have needed in nearly 14 years of shooting digital.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have used that several times (on your recommendation). It is easy to use and worked well on my MFT.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm glad. As long as you set it up properly and take it steadily it works. I used to put my camera on a tripod to get the right angle and freedom of both hands. Used to take about 5 minutes on my old Nikon D50.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Don’t touch the sensor unless you have to. Almost certainly the camera manual will at most advise cleaning using a bulb-blower to remove any loose dust. Cameras these days have quite good self-cleaning mechanisms. I wouldn’t start by worrying about what might never happen.

Lens cleaning. A bulb-blower and a soft brush will remove dust. A lens-cloth will remove grease/finger prints. The important thing is not to rub grit across, so blow-brush-polish. Lenses are pretty tough. As long as you use a lens hood and keep a lens cap on when not in use there is no reason a lens will get very dirty unless there is a lot of muck flying about. The most common case is near the sea in high wind where salt spray can make things messy. A plain glass filter that can be wiped down easily can help in that case.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have usually found a Rocket Blower sufficient for sensor cleaning, the time it wasn't I paid for a clean at the local camera repairer (it was on a camera I had just bought at a pretty good price on Ebay). Care when changing lenses helps to minimise the issue anyway.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have used "Visible Dust" sensor swabs and fluid successfully on both DX (24mm x 18mm) and FX (24mm x 36mm) cameras in varying conditions. What you really need is good light and for that a very bright torch works well but a suitably angled desk lamp would also be fine.

Rather than spend a lot on "special" brushes I have found a small model maker's paint brush to do a good job on loose dust but they do need to be cleaned thoroughly before use; I gave mine about half a dozen washes with washing-up liquid and hot water. You can test the brush on a small hand mirror, if it leaves a deposit it isn't clean enough.

I also use an air duster can with an expensive nozzle to blow dust off the sensor, don't use one with the cheap plastic nozzle that comes with the can you don't have enough control and you can do some serious damage.

9. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Hmmmm

I have never cleaned a sensor despite changing lenses in all environments and never needed to