1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lens advice please

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by RogerMac, Jul 7, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

The ribbon issue is due to the ribbon that travels as the optical train moves up and down the barrel. I think ( don’t quote) as it moves the fold in the ribbon becomes tighter eventually breaking. I see loads on eBay that either have the damage and being sold as parts/repair or have been repaired and the owner wants to get shut. The MKii has a different arrangement so is not affected by the same flaws.
    I did buy one once but returned it the next day- just didn’t want the risk of a £200+ repair bill. The STM version is not as well made but it’s IS is vastly better and optically its a close call. I got the stm for movie making for when I finally land either the 5Div or 6dii

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful lens. So. Sharp. Amazing. Contrast.

50mm, Canon 7d2, Sigma 17-50mm.

[​IMG]Who's Watching Who? by Tony Evans, on Flickr

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t it make more sense just to buy the ef-s 17-55 f2.8. I bought and sold it last year. Besides the faster 2.8 lens I preferred the standard 18-55 is stm. Optically I couldn’t tell the difference
    But the stm was lighter, smaller, had superior IS, totally silent and focused closer. By comparison the 17-55 was a massive optic that offered very little except for its constant f2.8

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think you're worrying about something which is probably not hugely problematic. Any lens can die.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/01/lens-repair-data-2011/
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/09/lens-repair-data-4-0/
    https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/lensrentals-repair-data-january-july-2012/

The 24-105 doesn't show up, but you could rent that lens from them, and you can rent the mark ii now.

So given there's no other hard evidence I can find, I suggest the 24-105 mark 1 is a perfectly good lens, that fails in general no more or less often than other lenses, but may fail with an Err01 when it does fail.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Possibly but it is much more expensive than the Sigma. There are a lot of very good lenses out there, in most conditions they are more than adequate.

pixelpuffin and RogerMac like this.
  6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Apparently the old Non VC version of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 was a bit of a legend. Should be cheap on the sh market due to age and not having image stabilation.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for some very helpful advice
    I have finally decided to go for the lowest cost option and ordered a s/h Sigma 17-70 described as in excellent! Condition hope they are right!!
    should arrive tomorrow

8. Bazarchie

Hope you enjoy it.

Is this the same Roger that used to avoid buying second hand?

9. RogerMac

yes I am afraid it is:oops: but to be fair I did have one bad but that put me off until now

10. RogerMac

It is also the Roger who has just received a Nikon fit lens when he thought he was ordering Canon fit. I think I will go back to buying new

daft_biker likes this.
  11. Bazarchie

That is unfortunate. Seller or buyer error?

12. RogerMac

It was one of the big companies but.they have admitted the error was theirs have let me off the return fee

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I also have a half-frame (APS-C) DSLR, and my favourite 'travelling light' lens is an old-model Sigma 17-70 that I picked up for £150 a few years ago (the model with F4.5 maximum aperture at 70 mm). It has a 'macro' facility at 70 mm, but this is not a 1:1 macro but really a close focus that can be useful. The newer model has a maximum aperture of F4 at 70 mm and image stabilisation, but these features make it larger and more expensive. Some retailers get used examples of the two models confused, so make sure you check before you buy.

If you want something wider, consider an old-model Sigma 10-20 - I picked up one of these secondhand too. Unlike some wide angle lenses, this one accepts standard circular filters - mine has an ND grad that hasn't been taken off it for some years (you can get a lot of bright sky in shots with a lens like this). The newer model has a larger maximum aperture, but is larger and more expensive. I've recently seen the 'good condition' older model going for as little as £100 from reputable dealers.

Both of these produce sharper results than a Tamron 18-250 of similar vintage that I also own.

RogerMac likes this.