1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lens advice please

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by RogerMac, Jul 7, 2020.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The topic of my new(?) camera seems to have wandered over several threads but I think this is the final instalment.

As you will know I now have a 7D sh and am very pleased with the extra reach this gives with a EF 70-300 . For a small lens I have a40mm pancake. But I rather fancy a zoom and perhaps the 15-135mm STM Ken Rockwell seems to like it but does anyone have any advice?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depends on what range you want. I've no experience of the crop-sensor cameras or their lenses but the EF-S 15-85 has been well spoken of on the forum. The closest Canon I have is the EF 16-35 F4 L which I use as my standard wide-angle zoom on full frame but that is probably too short a zoom range for you.

RogerMac likes this.
  3. RogerMac

Thanks but it is twice the price and I am not sure I want to spend that much on a second camera especially as i it may get borrowed by a granddaughter

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The 18-135mm STM is a very capable lens. I have one that came bundled with my 70d and haven't felt the need to upgrade from it. The Sigma 17-70mm is highly regarded too.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

The EF-S15-85mm is the way to go if you got the budget, excellent lens in every way. If I remember right it was usually paired with the 7D. back in the day.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. RogerMac

Many thanks . The Sig!a does appear possible and I will check reviews. I should be on my short list

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I have all the STM variants
    The 18-135 is nice, it’s silent, has IS but as a walk around lens I find it hard work. It also has a tendency to ‘zoom creep’
    I sold the ef-s 18-200 and very much regret doing so. It was louder than the 18-135stm but I much preferred the handing - just felt better on the 7d
    As for the 15-85mm.... I’ve stayed clear having read far too many negative comments.
    Besides the 24,40 and 50 stm
    My most used is the delightful 18-55 is stm F4-56 latest version. It’s considerably smaller than the older 18-55 is stm and ofcourse the 55-250 is stm needs a mention too ( love my 55-250...just love it)
    I never use the 7d since buying both 80d and 7dii- but I can’t bring myself to let go. It’s a fabulous camera

enjoy

RogerMac likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Perhaps you could say what you can afford to help people with the advice they can offer rather than guess.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I use my second hand EF 24-105mm L on my 7d2 body, that way I can also use it on the 6d. It's a bit long at the short end, but I learn to cope :)

RogerMac likes this.
  10. pixelpuffin

is that the Mk1 or MKII?
    I’ve avoided the Mk1 due to the common ribbon failure (Expensive repair) I did land the ef 24-105 stm for a bargain price off ebay...very plasticky but the IS and STM behaves exactly the same as it’s smaller ef-s brothers. It feels better on the 6D than the 5diii.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  11. RogerMac

I could afford any lens advertised on AP but in but in fact the question should be "how much do I WANT to spend". In fact I am leaning towards the 17-70mm but I will not decide until after the chancellor's statement tomorrowk

Bazarchie likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

Mark 1, had it ages, absolutely no problems.

RogerMac likes this.
  13. pixelpuffin

glad to hear that. I always wanted one but that ribbon issue put me off. I know many swear by it, but many also regret buying. So I guess it’s luck of the draw!!

14. PeteRob

Can’t say that I’d heard of this fault. Probably famous last words but I bought mine in 2007 in a kit with my 5D. Only issue has been cracked lens hood from dropping it a few times.

RogerMac likes this.
  15. EightBitTony

16. PeteRob

Yes I googled it. Hard to say how common it is though. Generally it is people with a problem that post so it’s easy to get the impression that everyone has a problem. As a kit lens for 15 or so years there must be hundreds of thousands out there.

17. RogerMac

I have had my 24-105L for about 8 years and never a problem. The 6D is a bit battle scarred thought.

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. EightBitTony

Agreed, I guess 'in the realm of failures, this is a common failure' but that doesn't tell us anything about how many lenses don't fail.

RogerMac likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Also consider the Sigma 17-50 2.8.Possibly a bit short at the long end but it is a constant 2.8. Pretty good lens.

RogerMac likes this.
  20. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

In fact I am leaning towards the 17-70mm but I will not decide until after the chancellor's statement tomorrow.

Unfortunately I fear the impact on several people will be much greater than whether they can buy a specific lens.

RogerMac likes this.