1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Lens advice please

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Gloschap, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Gloschap

Gloschap New Member

I have a Panasonic lumix DMC-G2 and am very happy with it. I have just been given two oldish Sirius lens...one is a 1:39 (f=80-200mm). Are they worth using and if so, which lens converter is best for the job?
    Any advice is gratefully received.Thankyou.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of sirius lenses for a long time - they were a budget brand as far as I remember. You will need to know what mount the lens has before you can source an adapter. Don't expect miracles. SRB Photographic is probably the best source for adaptors.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

These were not very good at the time and digital cameras are good at bringing out lacking aspects of performance. Try them by all means, but don't expect too much.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On the other hand the G2 is only using the central part of the image. That's where the fewest problems are found. Another thing is that the problem with cheap lenses was seldom the design but the care in assembly. Some cheap lenses are a pleasant surprise to their owners.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Usually those of simple design such as 28mm f2.8s, 50mm f1.8s and 135mm f3.5s.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

7. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

SRB are good but for such budget lenses I suspect a cheap Chinese adapter would be more appropriate.
    For the price of an SRB adapter it's possible to buy a MFT mount prime lens that will almost certainly be better quality than the Sirius zooms.

I couldn't be sure on which mount your lenses are, without at least a picture or two. (If they have a rear lens cap there might be a code on that to indicate the lens mount).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I would say, no, to any (old) zoom lenses, and, sure, what the heck, towards any prime lenses :)

Cheers,

Jack

9. Tinki

Tinki Member

Hmmm. You already have the lenses and for free. Can't you just try them? Just experiment and have fun

Done_rundleCams likes this.