1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Leica M lenses on Canon M5 via adapter

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Some time ago I bought a Leica M6 and a few lenses. I shot a few B&W 35mm films, but nowhere enough to justify my investment. I've now bought a nicely made adapter which allows me to mount Leica M lenses on my Eos M5. Not a very happy mating, as I'm reliant on the red-enhanced viewfinder for determining best manual focus, but I have taken a few shots using my 35mm F/1.4 Nokton which Ken Rockwell describes in very poor terms*. As the M5 uses a cropped sensor, I can't check the field edges, or anywhere close, but centrally I'm quite pleased, and it's much better than I expected after reading what Ken had to say. My 50mm F/2 close-focus Summicron also works well - Ken describes this in glowing terms, and I can't tell the difference! 2 more lenses to go - a fairly recent 28mm F/2.8 Elmarit-M Asph 6 bit, and an old 9cm F/4 Elmar.

* My checks on 35mm film seemed decent enough, and compared OK with the 50mm F/2 shot at the same time.

I assume that it's impossible to mount Leica film lenses on any full-frame digital body.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fujii make their own M adaptor to use Leica lenses on X-series cameras. I'm guessing that they saw this as a selling point for their rangefinder style cameras.