1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left or right?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, May 5, 2021.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thinking of today's challenge, and inks, and early pens.

Do you think those who write from the right side to the left are mainly left-handed?

I always had problems with basic pens and their nibs. At school my work ended up sprayed with ink. I can see how brushes are kinder and more manageable!
    I wonder how many of you get irked at notebooks, especially small notepads where writing from the left means nothing to rest on? Or blurring inks as you write across the page?

I think it's why I prefer to type things these days - apart from shopping lists.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Although a friend gave me a Rotring Artpen recently - brilliant, now the only pen I use.

S

Catriona likes this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I write left handed. Many say it’s a sign of high intelligence but think I disprove that theory.
    Notepads and books are a pain for left handlers especially double page books where the centre spline gets in the way.
    I was always getting told off at school as my writing tended to slope backwards. That is as natural to the left handed as sloping forward is to right handed.

Catriona likes this.
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I discovered not so long ago that left-handed ink is a thing - apparently Quink is formulated to be quick-drying (hence the name), so it can be used by lefties without resulting in ink everywhere.

I'd never particularly thought of brushes as my use thereof tends to be more slapping stuff on with the tarbrush, but that would make sense if writing runs in a direction that goes against the movement of the right hand. I'm assuming here that right-handedness is a global dominant, and not just a western thing! And what about scripts that run vertically on a page? That would cover all things...

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

I forgot about vertical scripts. I would opt for that as my second choice.
    I remember having fun when there was a short craze for writing from the right to the left. Mirror writing, which I could do quite easily.

Zou likes this.
  6. Catriona

I just looked that one up. Looks great. I might treat myself.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes, SWMBO is a leftie, and she can write mirror-style very easily, it's as good as a code because her handwriting is miniscule already, so back-to-front it's unreadable!

Catriona likes this.