1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning To Love FujiFilm

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Sanjeev Nanda, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Sanjeev Nanda

Sanjeev Nanda Active Member

Fujifilm_GFX_100__dsc0091.jpg

I just came across a review on another forum, discussing the FujiFilm GFX 100 (2019). I've always sidelined the FujiFilm line of cameras, only due to my loyalty to Canon. But seeing this wonderful piece of apparatus in action made me think otherwise!
    Fujifilm is not the #1 camera company on anybody's mind, but going back through their catalogues, I've come to appreciate their products a lot more than I did earlier. Their cameras have been - unique, to say the least. They even jumped on the 'digital' photography bandwagon quite later than their competitors (which explains their distant number 3 status currently).
    My point being, I've started really digging Fuji lately. A drop in price for the GFX 100, and I'm ready to have a whirl at it in the near future.
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you want to try a larger Fuji get an X-H1. They didn’t catch on so the price dropped from something like £1700 to £700 now. I thought I had a bargain when I bought one with grip mint s/h for £1200. Most people using Fuji-X like the smaller body of the XT-3 (now XT-4) but I much prefer the bigger body. I can still get the X-H1 with grip and 3 lenses, covering 10-200 mm, in a small shoulder bag. The same bag is filled by a Canon 5Ds and pretty much any lens, grip or no grip.

The Fuji G series are indeed very good. Still a bit pricy for me. As far as I can recall we haven’t had anyone posting here with one. We have had some (very few) Pentax and Hasselblad MF digital. No Phase One.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

An interesting camera, 100+ MP in a body no bigger than a "full frame" sensor camera (OK a D6 or EOS1 DX) and little heavier. The restricted lens range would make it less attractive to many, myself included, but definitely worth considering if you don't need very long or wide lenses. The £10,000 price tag is the big turn-off.

4. PeteRob

The GFX-50S is more affordable. I tried to have a look at it, the year it came out, at the Photography Show but the press of bodies was too unpleasant. I missed our last local Fuji open day but the previous one did not include the GFX series. I could (post lockdown) go up to Cambrian Photography, I think they are the closest actual stockist, but I fear that would be too tempting. The winter offers seem to have stopped (at least I don't see bundles on the LCE website) but there have been some good prices in the last three months.

Buying some development tanks, some film, then brushing off my 6x6 would be a lot cheaper!

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That depends a lot on who and where you ask. The Fuji "Texas Leicas" were very popular with people who wanted big transparencies without the nuisance of cut film. The Fujica 35mm SLRs were big sellers in the consumer market during the 1970s. Fuji have been hoovering up sales in pretty much every sector of the digital market for years.

I do wonder how much research you do before typing these claims.

6. PeteRob

I'm not sure that is accurate either but I can see where you come from. Fuji have always been strong on fixed lens cameras. It's true their presence in the DSLR market (2000 - 2010) was small but they switched away from DSLRs and now make arguably the "best" APS-C mirrorless system camera and have a formidable and growing lens line-up. Their cameras have always been aimed more at the enthusiast market. This is where they excelled in film-days, perhaps more in the medium format than the 35 mm market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Remember my £5 Fuji? That was the most bang for my buck I ever managed...

Pigeons against grill in Sidwell Street Exeter SL300 DSCF3445.JPG

Bus driver in mirrir SL300 DSCF3604 copy.JPG

Teenagers at waters edge Sidmouth sea front SL300 DSCF3529.jpg

Flats East Wonford Hill and Sweetbriar Lane Exeter SL300 DSCF3606.JPG

8. Sanjeev Nanda

@PeteRob price is a big enough arbiter to pick or drop a camera for me - that being said, a 1000 quid drop is really something an amateur like me can definitely get behind! fujifilm-xt3-silver.jpg
    Just looked a bit at the X-T3 - a real beauty if you ask me. But i have to agree with you, the bulkier models are just so appealing, man!
    Partially the reason I got affixed on the GFX 100 in the first place!

X-H1_Review_JohnPlatt_17.jpg
    The XH-1 also looks like an adorable unit. This aesthetic, I can get behind! Will get around it as well - thanks for the heads-up,

~Sanjeev Nanda

Attached Files:

9. Sanjeev Nanda

I fell in love with the EOS1 DX as well. I have had the privilege of holding it in my hands as well - for a long time it was on my wish-list as well. I honestly did not know that the D6 was a thing lmao - thank you for enlightening an amateur like me as well.
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

10. Sanjeev Nanda

The thing is in my country, Fuji has a non-existent presence. Coming across one is extremely rare. The ones that people sell you on the market, come with an inflated price tag as well. I've been into photography for quite some time now, but none of my local buds have ever told me anything even remotely Fuji!
    ~Sanjeev Nanda

11. Sanjeev Nanda

12. PeteRob

Then best leave alone :)

Sanjeev Nanda likes this.
  13. Sanjeev Nanda

Hahhahah too late! I'm already affixiated lmao ;);)