1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

learning the hard way ...

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by PeteRob, Nov 3, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So the end of day one with an Epson V850 in transparency scan mode. I feel exhausted.

Q1 How hard can it be to open a negative carrier ? - I've got the knack now but I was terrified of breaking the thing.

Q2 How hard can you push a DIN plug in a socket. I haven't seen a DIN plug on anything for 40 years when I last enjoyed having a hi-fi. (I've still got the hi-fi but I'm too deaf to enjoy it). To convert from document to transparency mode a cable has to be connected. Took mega ages to pluck up the courage to push it as hard as it needed to go. I'm dreading having to disconnect it.

I've sort of got the hang of scanning. Got the right software from Epson, got the right software from Silverfast. As the disks that ship with the scanner are well out of date. The Silverfast guided scan process applies ICE even after inputting the film was HP5. I now see from Harman website not to use ICE with non C-41 films but I was amazed at how thoroughly ICE removed every bit of white and light grey from the image, reducing a 2.3 MB file (the eventually successful scan) to 145 kb of mostly black over 45 minutes of thinking.

I've installed Bridge, which lets me edit jpgs in ACR, rather than have to import scratch stuff into LR. To install Bridge I had to accept update to Creative Cloud app, which crashed, seven times. Then it installed a completely new version of Photoshop) and updates to Lightroom Classic and ACR. So I deleted Photoshop 2020 as it wanted to update that too.

I gave up trying to edit the scanner files in On1 and in Photoshop. ACR seems a much easier place to start though I think I picked a difficult negative as a first scan subject.

I have decided that digital camera images are a lot easier to deal with than scanned negatives.

I like the way the EPSON software will divide one scan up into individual images (up to 18). That is much more convenient than Silverfast or VueScan in which you have to select one negative at a time.

So at least I've made a start - got a few thousand negatives and the family albums out. The boss said start at the oldest and work through the pictures in the albums.

First problem - pre-1980 99% of the pictures were taken with an instamatic. I'll have to rig a camera and macro lens up to have any chance of digitising those, unless negative carriers are available for the EPSON.

Does anyone know how to invert a colour negative if I do use a camera to copy the negatives ?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In The GIMP use {Colors|Invert}. If I recall correctly, all versions of Photoshop have a similar command.

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good luck Pete. You probably have the best scanner on the market but I expect a lot of time and patience is required. I cannot answer your question.

4. PeteRob

Tx. I was staggered at the number of 110 negs we have. There’s a guy in the US with a 3D printer who makes 110 neg carriers the fit inside one of the larger epson negative carriers.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

6. PeteRob

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. PeteRob

In amongst the packets of 110 film I found some film strips mounted to fit a 35 mm carrier. The missing width is made up of a paper (which looks as if it has been cut from a roll) that has one side tacky. The negative strip is mounted so that the very edge is on the glued strip. A cover strip, presumably also tacky is then pressed in place securing the negative and covering the glued area. I assume it was originally supplied on a roll so that a strip is cut to length, the covering edge peeled back, the 110 negative rebate touched down then the covering edge rolled back. The whole makes a section with overall width identical to a 35 mm film. I guess this technique was used by the high street processors when someone wanted print copies from 110 film.

I wonder what the name of the paper is. There are punch holes in some of the strips and a set of perforations running alongside the 5mm wide or so "sticky" bit so it looks like it might have had a secondary purpose for holding material to be bound in a folder. All of the negatives from this era come in a single packet or folded sleeve sized for 35 mm or folded in half as if sized for 120 (?). Later 35 film negs are in individual sleeved sections of a continuous roll of acid-free plastic or paper.