1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest SD card needed?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Mermaid, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid Member

I have decided to buy the Nikon Z50.

I'm wondering if I really need to buy a new SD card. I already have 2 SD cards (32GB SDHC & 16GB SDHC I). Are these fine for the Z50, or do I need the latest and greatest?

Thanks

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

What do the specifications say?

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

4. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

When I bought my D800, several years ago now, the manual said “Cards with class 6 or faster write speeds are recommended for movie recording. Recording may end unexpectedly when cards with slower write speeds are used.” To find out what the limits for video were (although since then I’ve only shot video a couple of times in very short bursts), I put in the oldest, slowest memory card I had. (I think it was a 1GB card my son had picked up as a give-away at a show, which I subsequently gave to my brother for his early digital compact.) Anyway, although the card was way below the spec recommended for the camera, it filled with video without interruption! Try your slower card with the most demanding use you’re likely to need, and see what happens.

Chris

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought class 10 were the slowest recommended for cameras taking stills. No idea about video but it’ll be a combination of camera buffer capacity, card speed and the amount of data to be written. Cards get slower with use as they become fragmented.

6. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I would have expected such recommendations to depend on the file size and frame rate of the camera.

When I bought my Nikon D90 from Park Cameras a decade ago they sold me a 4GB Class 4 SDHC card for general use in the camera, and persuaded me to buy a more expensive 8GB Class 6 SDHC card for its video feature. I made little use of the video feature, but the Class 4 card seemed perfectly adequate all round. When that card became redundant, I offered it to my brother for his ageing digital compact, but his camera couldn’t take cards with a capacity as large as 4GB! I’m sure the cards on sale when his camera was designed would have been plain SD rather than SDHC, and slower than Class 4.

Chris

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Your existing SD cards will be perfectly OK. However...... if you shoot in continuous mode and they have slow write speeds, then you will find the camera buffer filling up soon, and stopping you taking more pictures until it has written everything in the buffer to the card. If you are only going to shoot the occasional photo then this will not be an issue. "Interestingly", I was playing around with a newer second-hand purchase this afternoon and a UHS-II card that arrived by courier earlier this week-end, and the speed at which the camera writes and can continue continuous shooting is astronomically different from the UHS-I class 10 card that was previously in the camera