1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest output from 7 Digital

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by RonM, Jun 10, 2005.

1. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Here is another shot taken at the weekend with the D7D from the original Jpeg only resized in PS.

[​IMG]

exif details:-
    ISO 100
    f/2.8
    1/250th
    85mm GD lens (127mm 135 film equivalent)
    5600 HSD flash (High Speed Sync fill in)
    Anti Shake on

So far I can't fault the camera, it handles in a very familiar manner (exactly or very much like my film 7) The menus are simple to work out and work your way round. The viewfinder is every bit as good as the film 7 (which is rated amongst the best by Mike Johnston of LL) i.e. bright and information easily seen. Like others on here with DSLR's the results achievable with good lenses are stunning (I'm amazed at the quality I'm achieving with 6 MP)
    The only downside would appear to be cost :(, its going to cost me more to purchase more large CF cards and its going to cost me more to purchase larger Hard Drives and its going to cost me more to purchase a better ink-jet printer and its going to cost me more to purchase larger amounts of photo quality ink-jet paper and its going to cost me more to purchase more ink-jet ink. Whoever said Digital is cheaper Lied

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Looks good Ron. Quit worrying about all the expense of digital..............you'd only spend it on drink and wild women and song otherwise....................or is that me I'm thinking of? ;)

BigWill

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I'm just back from the holiday I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I got the chance to play with my mates D7D and I'm well impressed. I have never seen the instruction book but was able to work out what I wanted to know. I got shots with his camera that I could not get on my own (300mm lens plus 2x convertor plus the 'extension factor' of the digital made all the difference).

Can't really comment about quality because we are on;y just back nad we have not had chance to print anything.

MickLL

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

One less drink or woman and one more Memory card :D

Great shot Ron,

Is it a much fun as you anticipated?

:)

jack

5. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I should have added that on the downside I found the camera felt a bit lightweight and 'plastic' compared with my '9'. Despite that it handled well.

I've also opened the post now and found that ERNIE has been fairly kind to me so maybe there's hope of getting one!

MickLL

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I'm not sure about the fun, Jack, but, there is that renewed buzz about taking images, and of course the immediacy of the digital process, but has it met my expectations, the answer has to be yes! Then of course, as I pointed out in the original post the percieved cost, to which I should also add, the added percieved need to get the very best Glass, so that you can get the best possible results (then I suppose that is true of film cameras as well)

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Mick,

I can't comment on the comparison re your 9, I do find that the 7D feels heavier in comparison to the film 7 it's based on. In terms of handling I find it almost indistinguishable from the film 7 (one would expect that as almost all the controls are the same and in the same position) and also as it's based on the film 7.
    As to you getting one, I do think that like me it's probably a forgone conclusion, I started saving a good while ago and could probably have bought one not long after they were introduced, but baulked at the initial price, now that it has come down, I decided it was time to reward myself for all the hard work I've put in on the job (and the stress & hassle) so got the 7D and grip which I can highly recommend it does assist in ballancing the camera and feels more comfortable if your hands are on the larger side i.e. would overwhelm a low end budget SLR.
    As and when you get your own DSLR ENJOY!!!! :) :D :D

8. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Sounds as if you know me amost as well as my wife does - I guess it is inevitable!

MickLL

9. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I think its more of an understanding in how technophiles and cameraholics function, the fact that all the companies also understand this, is the inevitability. They know we will succumb, I mean look at Big Will, he's a sucker for Seven of Nine (Jeri Zimmerman aka Ryan) but he went and bought a 10 :D

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hi RonM,

You saying he should of gone for Seven-D Of Dynax then ;)

11. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

01414137 :D

Where's the best place for CF cards?

MickLL

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

The cheapest I have found Mick is My Memory who like 7Day are based in the channel Isles but turnaround seems fast enough

13. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

eh?

you going HEX on us?

15. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Re: 01414137

01414137. Will it take a 1G card?

MickLL

16. Done_rundleCams

Morning Mick,

It will take a 1GB card but I would recommend about 20 of the 64MB cards so that if there is a problem with one of the cards you will always have a back-up and always shoot in the lowest .jpeg because that way you will get far more pictures and need to change cards/download less often.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

:D

Jack

17. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Morning Jack.

You got it ! When Ron said that it was inevitable I suddenly realised that he was right and that it was when and not if. Therefore I took the plunge the 01414137 is a corruption of the serial number of my new baby ! :)

Here are some really trival likes/dislikes as compared with my usual Dynax9

1. The exposure compensation lock cannot be forgotten. On the 9 you can forget to relock the dial and it can get accidentially moved.
    2. The permanently attached rubber covers for the PC socket, power socket etc. I long ago lost all the detachable covers on the 9
    3. The ability to toggle between AF and MF with one press of a button. The 9 has a slider on the front of the camera which is a bit fiddly and is one of the controls that you can't use without taking the camera from your eye.
    4. I dislike the lack of an eyepiece shutter. The 9 has one and for the kind of work I do it's very very useful and can be deployed with little risk of moving the camera. The 7D has a rubber cap but to use it you have to remove the eyepiece surround and then slide the cap on. There's no way I'll be able to do that when I'm critically focussed at 1:1 ratio.

Your advice about cards is interesting. At the moment I had though that (for my serious Natural History work) I would be shooting in extra fine mode (maybe even RAW+JPEG) and a 128mb card will hold less than a 36 exp film!

Do you have a way of 'marking' which cards are 'exposed' and which are not? I'm very disorganised sometimes and can easily imagine myself getting mixed up and missing shots whilst trying to find an unexposed card!

MickLL

18. Done_rundleCams

Morning Mick,

First, and foremost, I hope you realise I was merely joking about using a bunch
    of the 64Mb cards :eek:.

I would use a couple of 512 MB Cards or if you travel with a laptop (with a CD burner) I would take a 1GB along with a 512 MB card.

As for 'organising my cards', I am afraid I don't ...I now leave my 1GB card in and (now) have my 512MB card in my pocket....in a mini-hard case and soft case, of course :rolleyes:. As for my CD's, I merely put the starting and ending date on the CD 'pearl" case -- NEVER on the CD itself.

Hope this helps.

:)

Jack

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't mark my cards but what I do have is some red and green card cases which I picked up at Focus. That way I know if the card is in a red case it's used and if not it's empty.... :cool:

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, I got some too - and a 2Gb Delkin card, and one of their CD writers (fantastic piece of kit, actually!) - bloody expensive free CF cases!