1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latent Image Regression with ILFORD PAN-F ----

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by PeteE, Apr 18, 2021.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

i have had lots of film sent to me by a fellow member of the Pentax User Site which had been in his loft UNDEVELOPED for YEARS !
    I managed to get good results on AGFA APX 100 using Liquid PROMICROL 1+14 for 12 mins BUT all his 3 cassettes of ILFORD PAN-F + were BLANK -- I tried ONE first in the Promicrol - BLANK -- then second one tried I HOUR Stand in RODINAL -- BLANK -- then tried Crawley's FX-4 Formula 1+3 for 40 mins when usually 11 mins is good for PAN-F --- BLANK !! Even the factory fogged Edge Signing has not developed which indicates a severe case of Latent Image Regression. Have other members of this Group had this problem ?

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It seems to be recommended that you don't leave it more than six months before you develop Pan F due to this reason .
    I had some loaded into a camera that I shot half a roll of one year ( spring I think ) , and for some reason didn't finish off untill the end of the next year.

When I developed it the recently taken shots came out spot on , but the earlier ones , probably 18 months previous , came out exceptionally thin and unusable .
    I can't remember if the data in the rebate was readable . I think it was , which is why I ruled out faulty film and researched why it came out bad .

Bottom line was you need to develop it sooner rather than later .
    After 18 months the images had almost disappeared , after a good few years in a loft , it doesn't surprise me they came out blank .

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just as well I don't use it then. In the films I've just had processed I had shots from our trip to Prague in 2013... Most were much more recent though.

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well , if you did find an old roll of Pan F , you could always re-use it .
    If it's an old roll , give it some extra exposure and it should come out just fine .
    No worries about any double exposures . ;)

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:D

I keep meaning to try it but never have. HP5+ is my go-to black and white film, with Delta 100/400 for when less grain required. But to be fair the grain in HP5+ is effectively gone when you shoot 4x5...