1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Last time you used a tripod?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 12, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Just that really, I'm curious to know how many fellow members actively use tripods these days.
    I do love my manfrotto, but in all honesty I really do struggle to even be bothered using the dslr's these days, nevermind finding the enthusiasm to lug the tripod too.
    My compact TZ70 and iPhone seem to be taking the bulk of pictures, its just too damn easy.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Can't remember exactly. I sometimes carry one if birdwatching.

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Yesterday.

daft_biker likes this.
  4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Two months ago, to photograph the East end of the Saint Nicholas cathedral in Famagusta with a T/S lens.

However, for nearly every outdoors shot I take I use a Gitzo monopod, which, with IBIS, lets me get down to a tenth of a second, and with lenses of up to 70mm there is not a sign of camera shake.

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Yesterday and the day before and probably today as well.

MickLL

6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_4013.JPG Months ago - I was resetting the infinity focus on an Olympus Trip 35, after repairing it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Tuesday, to support a sound level meter.
    Before that I had my Benbo tripod out to confirm that the reason for its stability problem was that I hadn't been tightening the main bolt sufficiently. I didn't put a camera on it though.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Yesterday. I set up my NN3 For my new Fuji XT 30 . Which turned out to have the same entry pupil setting as with my XE 2. Though the lower arm setting was slightly different.
    However I quite often use a tripod or monopod/walkingpole.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wednesday to shoot some product shots.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not recently, but probably quite soon when I get my arse into gear to do some proper testing of my Alpha58/50mm Macro lens/focusing rail combo...

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

3 years ago and that was probably the 3rd or 4th time I used one and I only used it then as I was in the photograph as well and using the timer. Like an idiot I blindly followed any advice when I bought my first 'proper' camera 7 years ago and bought a good tripod & head.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Couple of weeks back when out shooting landscapes. Still use it for macro stuff too.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My biggest tripod is very useful for drying the recycling sack during the rainy season. :cool:

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

January/February this year, using a mobile phone adaptor so I could watch videos whilst on the indoor bike setup.

beatnik69 and SXH like this.
  15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Tried indoor biking once....door frames are narrower than my handlebars;):D

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Try some 400mm drops. ;)

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

About two years ago I took my Velbon tripod to Buttermere early in the morning for some shots with an ND graduated filter and an ND1000 filter - see the attached image. Can you hold your TZ70 or iPhone perfectly still for 17 seconds?

Calm (3).jpg

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And again just now. 30 minutes of HIIT before I start riding outside tomorrow following 5 weeks off due to bruised ribs. Borrowing an ebike for a few days, until my normal bike is ready following a service.

The tripod is in a bad way, with at least two broken leg clips so indoor use is all it will be getting.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well: only someone missing a screw or two would try that with a TZ70. A sane person would screw it on to a tripod. :cool:

El_Sid likes this.
  20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I'd use my bean bag- does that make me insane...:eek: