1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large format workshops

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by nf3996, Apr 20, 2007.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I’m gradually coming to the conclusion that for the photography I most enjoy – landscapes - large format is the way to go. However, despite having spent many years using 35mm and medium format equipment, I’ve never used a large format set-up. What I’d like to know is, are there any LF workshops run in the UK where the equipment is supplied for particpants' use, in effect a ‘taster’ to see if LF and I would get on together? I’m reluctant to spend money on a LF outfit, only to find that it and I are not compatible.

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I don't actually know about workshops as such, but there are certainly some informal get togethers by LF people, if you look around for them. If you were to get to know people on the right forums (probably not this one - not that many LF shooters here) I dare say you might be welcome to tag along and perhaps get an idea of what it was all about from them. The UK regional group at APUG might be a suitable place to start.

3. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Yeah the APUG is a good place to start, also try the forum over at:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ as they have a wide user base iirc, also some reviews on there.

Also try contacting your local camera clubs and see if they have any members with said gear.

I'm sure I did read of an LF day a little while back, but it escapes me.

If you're going to be walking around doing landscapes I'd say have a look at field and folding cameras if you do decide to purchase. :)

4. OleTj

OleTj Member