1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Collection of Travel Photographs and Slides

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by CRMS, Aug 2, 2019.

1. CRMS

CRMS New Member

Just seeking some advice or ideas/thoughts on disposing of photo and slide collections. I have a large collection of travel photos and slides that my Mother took over 30 years of travelling. All sorts of trips - Silk Road, Amazon cruise, India, Safaris etc etc.
    She used them, mainly the slides, to give talks of her travels. But the pictures are not in any order, just by country and or trip and without any script that would make sense of them.
    Probably 3-4000 slides and 1000 prints.
    I've been racking my brain to think of what to do with them all. Before she departed this life, I did ask her if she had any thoughts on what to do with them all. She rather devilishly replied - "that is your problem to sort out". "Cheers Mum".
    I've thought of sending them to the embassies of the countries she visited and let them make the decision.
    If I digitized them, they still wouldn't mean much to me.
    Otherwise, I fear they will just end up in a skip. I certainly don't have space for them.
    Also have a few quite interesting 21/4" slides from my Father - 1937/8 onwards.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My condolences on your loss.

I suspect there will be no difference between sending to an embassy and putting in a skip, apart from the cost of postage to yourself.

It is a great shame. I don't know if any college would be interested in the curation of an unknown collection - students all have to do some sort of project work these days and I'd guess this might fall within scope history/geography/curatorship/social science/photography - depends really on what the pictures show, they would have to be able to produce a body of work from the collection that showed some academic prowess.

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

There's at least one person out there who develops old exposed films. I sent him some ages ago and he sent me digital copies of the resulting prints. Sorry I can't remember his address you'll need to do a search of the web. He made no charge but used a couple on his website.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It always seems such a waste to dump such items and I can understand your reluctance to do so. There are sellers of such items on Ebay (inevitably I suppose) so there must be some market for them, depending on content and quality, it would perhaps also depend on the degree of change in the intervening period. You could put a toe in the water and try selling some via Ebay or there may be a third-party who could market them for you, there is certainly one regular seller of transport slides there who sells for others.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Roger, it wasn't Film Rescue International -- https://www.filmrescue.com --, was it?

Cheers,

Jack