1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop battery usage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Jun 8, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have only recently bought this particular MacBook Pro so I am still learning how to get the best out of it. One thing I have noticed on several Macs is that Firefox is a heavy power user. The latest version has a thing called Task Manager (not to be confused with Windows Task Manager) which lets you see which tabs are using most power. In may case that appears to be Amazon so I no longer have any Amazon tabs open which might be beneficial in other respects as well. Worth checking, if your browser permits, which tabs/pages are using the power.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just had a look in Windows Task Manager - the only thing running whose power usage wasn't "very low" was, er, Task Manager.... ;)

ascu75 likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having shut down Amazon tabs the remaining tab taking “significant” power was Firefox Task Manager and Firefox was still the most power hungry application.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Andy, I suspect the best answer is to shut down browsers when running on battery power.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I gave up on Firefox quite some time ago - always found it resource-hungry, not particularly surprised it's power-crazy too. ;)

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I like some of its security features, container tabs for example, but it can be a pain in other ways. Interestingly Maps is using more power than Firefox at the moment. Seems the best way to maximise the battery life, irrespective of the system, is not to run on batteries! How anyone gets 10 hours on the battery I'll never know.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My photo laptop is pretty heavy on power, and I get a couple of hours out of it for photo work. Which is OK, seldom need any more than that on location unless there's power anyway. This laptop - for my wife's work - does about 7 hours of office stuff - not quite a full day, but I'm pretty happy with that considering it's an i7, albeit a wimpy one. Whatever any manufacturer says, I've yet to see any laptop manage 10 hours of actual use.