1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Landscape

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 15, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No worries, I'm terrible at landscapes so they were never going to be mine :)

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I'd say a landscape is an image of a macro (rather than micro, not sure about close-ups) section of ones external environment. Though this need not preclude an image shot through a window/door/hole in a wall that uses said as a framing device.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t see ‘owt

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I never cease to be amazed at what gets included in "Landscape". What happened to "Pictorial" as a category? It used to be one of the boxes you ticked on an entry form.

For me this one is Pictorial. The subject is clearly the rider.

[​IMG]

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  5. RovingMike

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just a couple of thoughts, without wanting to get all critical theory about it, doesn't context make a difference in this case, that's context of use.

For instance, in AP it would probably, as you say, be 'Pictorial'.

But if it was used in Wheel Nuts Monthly*, with the caption "Jim Crocket, on his way to winning his third Lake District Rally in four years." it would be Sport and/or Reportage. Albeit a bit on the arty side.

However, in the same magazine, with the caption "Obituary: Today, on his way to winning his sixth rally, Jim Crocket was unfortunately killed when a previously unsuspected sink-hole opened up under him." it would be, possibly, an Action Portrait.

* other fictional cycling magazines are available. ;)

Learning and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  7. PeteRob

That is another image (+all three of Tony's on the previous page) that isn't displaying for me. I had wondered if it was my iPad which shows IMG in square brackets but now on my mac is a box with question mark in white on blue background.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My iPad isn't showing the images either. My iMac desktop is though.

My iPhone isn't either.

9. PeteRob

Good to know I'm not alone but the mac is weird - my iMac is running Catalina 10.15.5

10. dream_police

So is mine.

Just done a reset on iPad and still the same. It is only these images in this thread that are not showing as far as I can see. Other photos, either from Flickr or direct uploads, in other threads work just fine. Strange.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having seen Stephen Shore's landscapes, I have to say the experience stayed with me more than any 'pretty' ones with reflections in lakes and lochs or dramatic skies. Strange as I find this, I can only conclude that the banal is what we are usually faced with when out and about. OK, places like Tuscany, I find magical, because of the soft light and mellow views of gentle hills, trees and vineyards. My taste obviously goes for the subtle over the dramatic. So saying, I plodded my way through the emulation project and ended up with a few.

landscape 3.jpg

landscape 4.jpg

landscape 6 harris hills.jpg

landscape 7.jpg

landscape 8 valtos.jpg

12. EightBitTony

Weird, the images are simple links, they must be doing something on the source end to decide they dislike your browser. They're mine so I don't want to just copy and paste them, but here's a link to the site.

https://www.lpoty.co.uk/gallery/2018/2018-gallery

And it's the one with the bike, the one with leaves, and the big wave.

13. RovingMike

Third is dramatic, but I like the last.

Catriona likes this.
  14. dream_police

Those show from that link OK on my iPad, just not when linked as an image. There are plenty of linked images on the forum. This is the first time they haven’t shown with IOS. As I say works fine on the Mac and on my MacBook Pro.

15. PeteRob

Really strange - we are running same Catalina version so Safari version must be the same also. I can link through to the login page at lpoty but I don't see any images belonging to Tony - the [motor] bike, wave and leaves all have different attributed authors

16. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

After reading your post it did get me thinking and of course you do make a valid point .

Is a photo of a sunset which includes a bit of a beach , some sea and sky a landscape ?
    Is that photo of the leaves you posted a landscape ? Not in my book , it's Still Life .
    The bike shot could be Sports or Action [ is Action even a photography term ? :) ] - the third shot I'd classify as Seascape .
    So , yeah you make a valid point . Thumbs up emoji thingy .

17. EightBitTony

Not mine apologies, typo in my original post but too late to edit. None of the images are mine.

18. dream_police

Ahhh. I am running chrome on my desktop and MacBook. Just checked on Safari and the images aren't showing. That is obviously where the issue is. Both iPad and iPhone are safari too hence why they don't show the images.

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not showing on my I phone either. Safari.

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, mono and landscape, two things that don't get my motor running*. However, they say stepping out of your comfort zone is good for you occasionally so I spent an hour or so this lunchtime on or near Shortwood Common - and boy are me knees telling me about it! Anyway, I got a few I quite like, but a couple raised a question in my mind.

This is obviously (well, to me at least) a landscape - even if you hate pylons - some people don't.
    3785cess.jpg
    Pylons
    But this one:
    3783cess.jpg
    Pylons
    Landscape or Pictorial?

* Or I'm rubbish at - you pays your money and you takes your choice... ;)