1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Landscape

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm actually at the west facing side of my field, by the fence. It was great to get a view from the side as the waves rolled in to the right of frame.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Geren, you really sell Helensburgh well!

Geren likes this.
  3. Catriona

So what, if anything, did you find most challenging?

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well, thanks to you my ears and hands were cosy in cashmere, but trying to keep the rain/spray off the front end of the lens was a bit of a nightmare!

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Yes, I can empathise with that. The number of 'soft focus' shots I ended up with were more than my clear ones. I used to go out wearing one of David's jackets. I then had the camera ready (and a very suspicious enlargement of my front!) and I only hoiked it out when ready to shoot. I still spent time wiping the front many times. It was clean up time when I got home again. I think it is frustrating at times trying to get the fierceness of the weather. I either went to the bottom of my field, where I was higher, or take my life in my hands and go down the slope to the edge. It's a real challenge. Fortunately I got lots of practice! Ha!

alfbranch and Geren like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What to say? Is it landscape? Is it graphic art? I would print it big and hang it on the wall.

Catriona likes this.
  7. gray1720

I'm so glad it's not just me who does that! I think the only thing that looked more suspicious were the trousers I had at school that could fit five cricket balls into the pockets - I must have looked as though I had scrotal elephantiasis.

alfbranch, Geren and Catriona like this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've been to Curbar edge three times, to specifically shoot landscapes. One time I even went at the right time of day.

I ended up shooting an abandoned coffee cup and some other nonsense.

Anyway, here's the closest I get - and I still don't understand landscape focusing, like others, for memories rather than walls.

Curbar - ended up focussing on close up stuff and forgetting the landscapes.

20150322-600D-1776_x800_hq.jpg

A beach (at the other end of the country)

20160501-7DM2-3690_x800_hq.jpg

More from Curbar

20160508-7DM2-5263_x800_hq.jpg

And this is the kind of landscape shot I end up liking, although is it landscape, street, or urban?

20150315-600D-0370_x800_hq.jpg

alfbranch, Dan S, Geren and 2 others like this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'd say it's landscape. I don't think that term only has to apply to lone trees, reflected mountains in lakes and the tops of hills. These 'genres' that we impose on ourselves aren't really all that useful I don't think especially when there can be so much crossover.

Zou and EightBitTony like this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It's not all bad.

191231-Helensburgh-007.jpg

Dan S, RovingMike, Zou and 2 others like this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree. If I was to label my photography I’d say “landscape” but actually, looking through the 20,000 or so digital images I’ve kept since 2007, there are very view (none) of the grand vista type. Probably reflecting that I’ve hardly been up a hill since the kids were small and we did a lot of camping/walking.

Dan S, Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  12. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I love the landscape and seascape photography. For me it is all about the solitude. The early mornings with no-one around, waiting for the sun to rise, checking the weather and tide apps the night before, settiing up the tripod, the cold fingers. Feeling close to nature and having the head space to feel empty and just absord the elements and surroundings. Then comes the photo... after all that the photo is going to be good because there was so much invested in it.

I love the walking around looking for a composition, I love the long exposure before the sun rises and not knowing how the scene will look until that shutter closes.

All this is medicine to me and it came at a time when I needed something new and creative in my life. I get excited the night before if I know the elements have come together and I'm going to leave the house the next morning while everyone is still asleep.

Geren likes this.
  13. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I'm about 30 minutes away from different coastal locations and it is truly wonderful. They aren't the most dramatic seas, no rocks and the highest the waves ever get will just about get your hair wet. But I love it. If ever you felt like heading over to Essex for the coast, please let me know.

14. gray1720

Be careful what you offer, Dan! I've been meaning to explore the Essex coast more for decades. Apart from a walk round the seawall at Bradwell, and a walk up the beach at Dovercourt on the way back from Holland, the last time I spent any time there would have been about 1988.

15. EightBitTony

Coton on the Elms in Derbyshire is the place in the UK furthest from any coastline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms

I live, as the crow flies, 26 miles from that place.

Essex would be nice but it's not the closest coast to me, that's The Wash, but I'm not sure how much of it is accessible coast line. I think Skegness is the closest identifiable beach and even that's a couple of hours by car.

16. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

daft_biker, alfbranch, Zou and 4 others like this.
  17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I really like the bottom one

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The Giant's Causeway shot is very good - what was the Exhibition (info from Flickr photo page) ?

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Like 2 and 3 very much.

20. EightBitTony

Thanks, pure luck on my part that one.

beatnik69 likes this.