1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Landscape

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Tony said that one of my 'street' images was more 'landscape' and I have to admit, I included it in the Street thread out of badness because I knew that it was really stretching that definition. (I quite like pushing at boundaries to be fair, and would have argued the toss on that poo pipe shot.)

I don't generally shoot what I think of as 'traditional' landscape. Mainly because again, I tend to work to projects that have some kind of meaning/theme/concept/story behind them. And also because fitness and finances mean that i don't have access to the kind of places that would generate traditional landscapes. But everyone has an 'environment' and that I suppose is what I'm interested in. Not necessarily generating pretty pictures for postcards but looking at and assessing my environment.

190217-NearlyThereYet-068.jpg

From the project 'Nearly There, Yet' which documented my efforts to access wilderness on foot from my home, via the John Muir Way. Pictured is the boundary between the forestry commission and the only bit of untended land in the nine mile walk that I undertook that day.

_P9A1692.jpg

From the project 'Neither Here Nor There' - a series of images taken in the un-named stretch of land between two villages.

Dan S and RovingMike like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Dan S and Geren like this.
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It won't surprise anyone to hear me say that landscapes aren't really my forte (if it wasn't for cricket which, IMHO, is a piece of cake to get decent photos of by the manure-wall interface method, I think my forte would be finding things that weren't my forte!).

However, as Mike has alluded to above, and Geren has shown with her second image, it's probably the genre where you most need to make use of your surroundings and the ongoing conditions. You can point a camera at a nice scene (or a not-so nice scene, as above!), but you won't make the magic you want without being there at the right place and the right time. It should be no surprise that my best landscape efforts have come when in the tow of Mr Branch of this parish who knows his scene inside out, and knows where and when the light will be.

This is one taken on a trip out with him - nice, but a more dramatic sky would have helped, they must have missed our order.
    [​IMG]Blencathra by gray1720, on Flickr

I'm rather fond of this one, though*, which I think conveys bleakness and isolation rather well.
    [​IMG]Hampton Gay church by gray1720, on Flickr

*though I must go back and check the way the land slopes - if the horizon is straight, everything else has a distinct lean! No-one notices if I lightly poke the picture frame, though.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    alfbranch, Dan S, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My landscape shots are all taken with the distinct purpose of memories of a place. The 'big country' shot isn't for me without a purpose.

These are some which probably aren't of great interest to anyone other than myself! :)

ap landscape 2 polbain.jpg
    Polbain

ap landscape achnahaird.jpg
    Achnahaird

ap landscape 7 allotments.jpg
    Yorkshire

ap landscape 6 crofts.jpg
    Knock (Lewis)

ap landscape 4 lewis crofts.jpg
    Crofts, Knock (Lewis)

Dan S likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I am intrigued at how landscape photography is generally well regarded, whereas in art landscapes are generally not valued very much.

I don't do fancy landscapes, but the landscape (whether urban or rural) is probably my favourite genre alongside minimalism. Just writing that made me think of Piet Mondrian...

Geren and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

??
    Love Mondrian, but never associated him with landscapes. Minimalism? Deconstructed landscapes? Please explain.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

He did quite a lot of landscapes, but then drifted (via post-impressionism and cubism) into his signature style of restricted palette, vertical and horizontal forms.

From Wikipedia:

Geren and Catriona like this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Dan S and Geren like this.
  9. Catriona

Thank you. That inspires me!

Zou likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Toying with the idea of going out for a seascape. I'm a bit worried about the chap windsurfing out there but he'd make a good pic if I can stay upright long enough.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

Lewis with a bit of leeway.
    ap my semi mondrian abstract landscape b.jpg

daft_biker, alfbranch, Dan S and 4 others like this.
  12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I really, really, really long to live near the coast.

Dan S, Geren, Zou and 1 other person like this.
  13. Catriona

Oh no you don't!

storm 1.jpg

storm 2.jpg

storm 3.jpg

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes I do. It's over a two hour drive from my house to the nearest coastline. I grew up 15 minutes away.

Geren and Zou like this.
  15. Catriona

Ah, that's different. You know what it is like.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I'm the same as a few of you. Landscapes as a subject do little for me. I do take them though but they are generally a memory of the view. I don't think I've ever really gone out to photograph landscapes.

Catriona likes this.
  17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That, Catriona, is exactly what I want to be by the sea for - I want to feel the elemental rage whipping past my lug 'oles! My student house in Hernia Bay was yards from the sea (here's the new house built on the old one's site:https://www.lastminute-cottages.co....rental-s10519?check_in_on=21-02-2020&nights=4) and I loved it even when the asbestos root was banging like an Essex girl on a Friday night in Chelmsford.

ETA - and especially if there are gannets! They are just so magical to watch when they are fishing!

Dan S, Geren, EightBitTony and 3 others like this.
  18. Catriona

Thank you! I do know what you mean. My husband used to say I was mad fighting my way to the beach about 200 yards away where I took these pictures. I'm a little woman but I managed and I too liked the fierce wind and even the spray. I was forever wiping my UV filter. Haha!
    Yes, the gannets are amazing, just skimming the waves.

alfbranch and Dan S like this.
  19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I really like the middle one. Looks as if is deep water but I guess it is taken from the shore. The gannets add scale.

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

200215-HB-001.jpg

We have a swimming pool in Helensburgh. The council plans to spend thousands of pounds knocking it down and moving it to the bottom of the pier. Not sure why we don't just swim in the car park as is really.

200215-HB-004.jpg

I'm standing just across from my flat here. About an hour before high tide. Thankfully it's not as windy as it was last week!